Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, October 01, 2004

So, What Does Carly Think?

I think the second time through the adoption process the question I have been asked most frequently is, "What does Carly think?"

The honest answer is: Who knows what a two year old thinks? There are moments when I think she understands some of what is happening. Tonight, I asked her if she knew who Maggie was and she said 'Maggie is my sister'. So, I know she has the words right.

My pragmatic nature leads me to believe Carly is repeating the words, but doesn't really grasp the full meaning of a sister. After all, she thinks Dora the Explorer and Cinderella co-rule the world. I don't think she understands she will no longer have our undivided attention. I don't think she understands sharing is about to become a way of life. I don't think she understands that compromise and negotiation are about to become an everyday occurrence in her shared bedroom and bathroom. Of course, how could you expect a two year old to understand the impact a little sister will have on her life?

A sister will be a such a wonderful gift for Carly. I know I love my sister (I do hope she is reading this) and I couldn't imagine my life without her. In Maggie, Carly will have a confidant, a playmate, a foe and a friend sharing her room, her childhood and her life. What more could a kid ask for? Well, if it is Carly, I think she would ask for "swiper to stop swiping."

So, my answer remains, "I don't really know what Carly thinks." But I sure know what I hope she thinks. If not today, then someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home