Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Day of Nothing

It's funny how the definition of a spent doing "nothing" has changed. Four years ago, a day doing nothing meant sleeping late, reading the paper for two hours, then retiring to the couch to read a book, may be I would hit the gym and we definitely went out to dinner.

Four years later, I honestly feel I did 'nothing' today. But my day is a little different. I was up before 6 a.m., made 3 breakfasts, fed two dogs, picked up the papers, dressed 2 kids, supervised their teeth brushing, hair brushing and face washing, put on a load of laundry, walked the dog, emptied the dishwasher, cleaned up after breakfast, made a shopping list, moved the laundry, put on another load and left the house by 11a.m. Then I took two kids to the crafts store, went grocery shopping, unloaded 7 bags of groceries, made 3 lunches, cleaned up a potty accident, more laundry including folding and put two kids down for a nap. (yes, La Nina still naps--God Bless Her!) With them down, I checked email, cleaned up after launch, did more laundry, discussed dinner with the Dad (who was on the couch watching golf--not that I'm bitter about that or anything), organized the clothes the kids have out grown, comforted the Magster when she had a rough wake up, did more laundry, got snacks for two kids, took two kids out to ride bikes, watered plants, picked up 5 pots with dead plants and yakked with a neighbor until the kids were worn out. Then I set up a craft project for the kids, fed the dogs, did more laundry, made dinner--the Dad did grill, apparently, golf was over--cleaned up the aforementioned craft project, ate with the family, cleaned the kitchen, did more laundry. Suddenly, I realized it had gotten late, so I tossed the girls into the bath tub, washed their hair, clipped their nails, flossed their teeth, trimmed La Nina's bangs and supervised a second round of teeth brushing. About an hour ago, I read each girl a story, kissed them good night, told them I loved them, did yet more laundry and am now sharing my really quiet day with all of you.

And the funny part of all of it? While I'm tired--it's just normal tired and to be honest, I feel oddly rested from doing nothing all day. What the heck is wrong with me?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:02 PM , Blogger M3 said...

    Good god!!! That's more than I do in a week.

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I found your blog thru another link - and I've been reading about your family adventures... thanks for sharing your stories, they are all priceless! And with a 12 month old at home, I can kinda-sorta-but-not-quite picture your doing nothing day!!!

     
  • At 9:20 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    You just described my normal Saturday!! And if people ask what I did last weekend, I would porbablu saying "oh, nothing!"
    Funny!
    Lisa

     
  • At 2:12 PM , Blogger Kelly Pollard said...

    Great post! I should print it up to give to my husband when he asks what the boys and I did all day...that is, if he can peel himself away from whatever sports even in on tv to read it!

    Love reading about your adventures and am jealous you are such a better disciplined blogger than I am!

    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home