Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Mornings. Whatever Happened to my Mornings!

Ahhh...I must take a moment to grieve my past life. I remember a time in the not so distant past when I could get out of bed, walk the dogs, and read the paper while listening to James Taylor and sipping my coffee in peace. I miss those mornings. I really do. It is the only part of my past life I really miss since becoming a parent. Everytime someone dreamily asks me, "Can you even remember your life before kids?" My mind immediately goes to my past mornings, and I sigh with a bit of sadness.

Peaceful is not a word I would use to describe my mornings today. I get more done now before 8am than I used get done before Noon. This morning was particularly painful. The family was headed to a cookie decorating festival at 10am. For some reason, the two little ones woke up on the wrong side of their respective beds and nothing went smoothly. Maggie was whiny and clingy from the mooment she opened her eyes. La Nina followed her sister's lead, but she took a different approach. She was just difficult. From breakfast to clothing selection to TV viewing time, La Nina had ideas of her own that were not practical for a 2.5 year old in December. The breakfast meltdown took the cake. She basically didn't eat (her choice), but I heard about her hunger for 2 hours while her breakfast sat on the table. By 8AM, I had both girls lined up on the futon and was administering droppers of Tylenol by the "one for you" method. You know, 'one for you, one for you, one for me.'

At 9AM, La Nina was sitting next to the door with her jacket on and zipped waiting to leave. The good news is Dad was taking her Christmas shopping so she left by 9:15 about the time, Maggie had a full, head-banging meltdown on the family room floor. There was just no comforting that child this morning. I decided Maggie was tired and took her flailing baby body out to the van. I started the van, strapped her into the car seat and handed her her beloved blanket. She was out in 2 minutes. I guessed right on the tired scenario.

After Maggie was asleep, I did what every reasonable second time Mom would do, I went into my now blissfully quiet house finished my coffee, moved laundry, cleaned the kitchen, packed the diaper bag and departed 30 minutes later. I figured in my climate controlled mini-van, parked in our driveway, Maggie was safe. Frankly, I would have pitied any kidnapper who snatched that kid this AM. I checked on her every few minutes or so and I knew she was resting peacefully. The bottom line, we both got what we needed: her a nap and me, a glimpse of my mornings from yesteryear. Oh sweet peace and quiet. I felt a little guilty at enjoying the quiet so much, but it was amazing how much I accomplished without my helpers.

After we got out of the house, our morning was delightful and the girls had a wonderful time decorating cookies with their cousins. Who knows what their problems were this AM? Teething? Jealousy? Adjustment issues? I have no idea, but the next time you see me and dreamily ask, "Can you even remember life without them?" My answer is "Yes! And I really miss my mornings!"


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home