Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Etc., Etc,. Etc.

Time for one of those random lots to cover post:

Shared dinner and many laughs last night with some long time friends at AsiaSF. For those not familiar with this establishment, it is the type of place that you only find in San Francisco: A Asia-Fusion Restaurant and Drag Bar where the "waitresses" lip sync to pop tunes on the bar 3 times a night. What 6 suburbanites and our city dwelling friend were doing in this nightclub was beyond us after the second show, but I learned a couple of things. 1.) At least 4 Asian men look far better as a woman than I do. Frankly, I found this a little discouraging. 2.) It is a wonder what a little plastic surgery can do for a guy. In fact, it made me wonder if it can make a man look that good, what can it do for me? 3.) San Francisco never fails to live up to its quirky reputation...though I think our friend was the only San Franciscan in the joint!
******************************************************************************

Congratulations to La Nina for astonishing accomplishments in the pool this week. Since she was too young for group lessons, we signed her up for a single 30 minute private lesson. The results: She swam to the bottom of the pool and retrieved a ring today. Then she jumped off the edge of the pool into water over her head and tried to swim back to the wall "all by herself". (I was helping on this one.) At the beginning of the Summer, this was the child who wouldn't put her face under water. Because of her accomplishments (and the fact she is potty trained), the pool is allowing her to attend group lessons beginning on Monday. I may have to change her nickname to Ariel.

********************************************************************************

My dilemma this week is with Harry Potter. I may be a mere muggle, but I do love the wizardy and witchcraft of the JK Rowlings series. I have read the previous 5 books and I eagerly awaited the release of Book 6. (I am so bad I reread the last chapters of book 5 last week so I would remember where the series left off.) I picked up my pre-ordered, pre-paid for book on Saturday morning at 10:05AM. However, much to my utter dismay, I am only half way through it. It is just impossible to sit and read for two days straight with these darn kids around. I am only half way through it, and totally exasperated by that fact. I am intrigued by the whole orphanage theme that has emerged in this book. It could present some interesting discussions for the parents of kids adopted from China as they read about Tom Riddle's early life. Book review to follow...I hope soon!

***********************************************************************************

That's it for tonight. The students of Hogwarts are calling my name.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:14 AM , Blogger Zeus said...

    I totally agree about the reading. I flew through the other Potter books and now that Tenley is home with us I only get to read a page or two at a time. It can be really frustrating at times. But then Tenley smiles at me and I forget all about the book.

     
  • At 9:10 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    My kids have been home longer. It takes more than a smile to distract me!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home