Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

An Era Ends

Well, an era in our house ended today at about 3pm. After 3 short years, we are back to being crib free. Today, we bought La Nina a big girl bed and moved the Magster from the crib to La Nina's old toddler bed. I am sad to see the crib go.

Our crib was lovely. Borrowed from friends, it was far nicer than anything I would have bought myself. Our friends' kids had outgrown the crib and they were very happy to find it a home with family they knew. It seems just yesterday I was stressed about getting that crib into the house before we traveled to get La Nina. I remember just wanting it in the garage, not the house....the house was way too close for comfort, but I wanted it close enough that we could set it up "whenever."

When it arrived, I was working and the Dad set it up immediately. I was so stressed to discover we possessed "a crib" I could barely look at it. The poor crib sat in our nursery barren for a few weeks before I could bring myself to make it up. I remember putting sheets on it for the first time, lovingly installing a bumper and taking a long last look at it before we left for China. I remember the disbelief I felt that there would ever be a baby gracing its mattress in our home.

Then I remember laying La Nina in it for the first time. I was sure she wasn't ready to be alone in her room, but she took to it just fine. She looked so small on its big mattress. It was probably the first time she had ever slept alone, and in La Nina style, she handled the transition without a moment's hesitation. I will also never forget her climbing out of the crib for the first time on the night of her second birthday. Nothing like hearing a "thump" followed by tiny footfalls and a soft "Mamma". Conversations about "what to do" followed the next morning.

More recently, I remember laying the Magster on its well worn mattress for the first time. Totally opposite of her sister, she white-knuckled the rail and howled like a banchee the minute I set her in her new bed. In fact, she wailed for hours. No, the crib thing didn't go well with the Magster, but I still remember the moment, regardless of how fleeting it was. The Magster never warmed up to her crib.

In fact, she jumped for joy when I told her she was getting a big girl bed today. We could have gotten rid of the crib months ago and the Magster would have been content. Yet, we held on to it, so I could delude myself that Maggie still needed the security of high walls on all sides. Alas she did not and it is time for "the crib" to move on.

Now our faithful friend is off to cradle a new baby who is arriving in a couple of weeks. In tribute to its history, the crib is being loaned to a friend...it is staying in the family, so to speak. Our crib served us well. I am sure it will handle its new charge with an equal measure of dignity. And I will miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home