Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Hall of Fame Day

Yesterday, we were invited to what was billed as "the Rehersal dinner" for Coach Madden's induction into the Hall of Fame. Hosted at his son's house, the party included great food, great drinks and a playroom complete with a babysitter...my favorite feature. Rumor had it that over 400 people were there, and that could've been true. The party was so spread out it was tough to get a sense of its size.

This wasn't a champagne and caviar event. This party was for Madden. A Raider. He's no '49'er. The fare for the day was a margaritas and quesadillas and killer desserts made by his daughter-in-law who is a fabulous baker. There were some speeches: The current Raider Coach Art Shell said a few words. And when someone told me Willie Brown was going to speak after Shell, I was searching for the former Mayor of San Francisco. I didn't figure out I was looking for the wrong guy until the Hall of Fame Football Player Willie Brown took the mike.

It was at that moment I realized I was a fish out of water. While the many members of the crowd were recognizing former athletes right and left, I was looking for the former Mayor of San Francisco. While the guests were admiring the condition and size of the former players, I was checking out the fashions on their wives. While the members of the Raider Nation were listening with fascination to football stories told by the greats themselves, I was trying to flag down the gal with the margaritas.

Don't get me wrong: I fully appreciate the accomplishment of making the Hall of Fame. And at the same time, I must admit I'm only a fair weather football fan. Even though I hail from a long-line of Raider fans, their image has always been a little dark for my taste.

But I know my brother and my grandfather were doing flip-flops in Heaven at the fact I was at this event with the likes of Madden, Shell, Brown, Vela and others. So, when I went up to the table of former players, shook their hands and thanked them for the pleasure their team brought my family, I was thinking of Mike and Grandpa. And all the times I intentionally walked in front of the television while they were watching these men on it.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:54 AM , Blogger Johnny said...

    What is your connection that gets you into a party like that? Just curious how a fish out of water actually ended up out of the water.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home