Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Updates!

Well, I'm one happy mom tonight.  The kids are back in school.  Did you hear me cheering at 11:46am today?  Sure, we had lots of fun last week.  At the same time, La Nina hadn't been in school since March 12, thanks to our mini-vacation, strep throat and Spring Break.  So, we were all ready for her to get back in school.   Here's a few highlights:  

Art Hour:  Every morning by eight, the Magster stationed herself at the kitchen table at proceeded to 'create' for at least an hour.  She made a puppet theatre from a shoe box, a little girl from buttons, a number of collages and mosaics, drawings, coloring, I think there was even something with feathers.  Man, that child was prolific.  My entire kitchen is now filled with the results of her art.  And of course, she pitches a fit if I throw out any of it.  

Hikes:  Since our summer vacation will include some short hikes, I decided to take the girls out hiking while they were out of school.  We walked out to a pond in a nearby open space and threw rocks.  This was maybe a half mile out and back.  Really nothing major.  Anyway, once it was time to head back to the car, the whining reached a fever pitch.  So, I followed the lead of the Family Van Trapp and got the kids singing.  Once their mouths were busy with song, the whining ceased. 

Shopping:  Both girls had some gift cards left over from Christmas so I took each child out shopping.  La Nina, who also had birthday gift cards, spent nearly $80 on clothes and shoes.  When I suggested perhaps we visit a toy department, she wrinkled her nose at me.  The next day, I took the Magster out the next day, and she bought toys, a pair of shoes and some paint brushes.  When I asked Maggie about clothes, she looked at me and said, "Mom, I get all Carly's stuff when she grows.  And she has lots of clothes."  And that's the difference in my kids.  I'm doomed with that older one, but she did get herself and her sister some cute clothes.  

Book:  Well, after a complete crisis of confidence, I'm back to work on my book.  I started the second draft last week, and I'm happy to report I made it through three chapters.  The next big push is my application to the Squaw Valley Community of Writers.  I didn't get in last time I tried and both essays I submitted went on to win local writing awards.  SO-  I'm a little nervous about this whole process.  Keep your fingers crossed.  The application is due May 10 and I'm using my manuscript.  Gulp!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM , Blogger Kelly Pollard said...

    You had me cracking up about the Von Trapp singing on the hike. I've been pushing my husband to try taking the boys out on some hikes--we used to backpack every summer pre-parenthood.

    Glad everyone is healthy and back in school. Yay, more time to write!

    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home