Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Expectations

For a dancer, auditions are a way of life. Even when you're only 8, you're expected to audition. Last weekend, La Nina was supposed to audition for a scholarship. Supposed to, because about 30 minutes before her audition she developed a very serious tooth ache and had to leave the convention immediately.

Now, don't be concerned. I wasn't. I knew there was nothing wrong with her tooth. She was just worried about the audition. She'd been nervous about it all morning. I tried to let her know she only had to try her best, but my words fell on deaf ears. Rather than force the whole issue, I agreed with her that her tooth would never allow her to audition and we left the convention. Sure enough, there was a real live miracle in the car as we were driving home. Her tooth healed by divine intervention and she was suddenly hungry for a taco.

But you know, little girls with sore teeth can't eat tacos, can't watch tv, can't play wii, can't play in front with the neighborhood kids. Kids with sore teeth must stay inside and read books on nice spring days when they've bailed on an audition for no reason.

Lo and behold, Thursday night is another audition. She's willing to go to this one because it's her ticket into the company next year. But, she's yakking a lot about how embarrassing it is to audition, how depressing it is to not make it and how I told her she would never succeed. Say What? I never said that.

Turns out she got a wee bit confused the morning of her last audition. I told her I didn't expect her to succeed every time, but I did expect her to try her best and that no matter what happened, I would always be proud of her. I was trying to reassure her that my love wasn't wrapped up in the outcome of an audition for a $100 scholarship. Well, she didn't know what the word "expect" meant and assumed I was telling her she'd never succeed. Oy Vey!

I explained what I was trying to say, and hopefully, I reassured her. In 10 days she has another scholarship audition. I'll be happy if she just gives it a shot. And hopefully, she realizes one day she will succeed in these auditions. I know this as certainly as I knew her tooth wasn't hurting last Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home