Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Sisters will be Sisters!

I have to share that my favorite time these days is bath time. It is perhaps the time the girls show off their true personalities the best.

La Nina likes to take her bath to Princess Music- a CD of Disney songs by assorted Princesses. She likes me to rinse her hair carefully as she despises getting water in her eyes. After a bath, she likes to cuddle, wrapped in a towel. For La Nina the bath is about peace and tranquility before bed.

Unfortunately for La Nina, Maggie's approach to bath time is entirely different.

I don't think Maggie had many true baths prior to joining our family, so baths are a big treat for her. She approaches them with shear exuberance. She loves splashing and squealing with joy. Frankly, she is a little hard to bathe, because the tub makes her so active and she is so noisy she drowns out the princess music with her squeals.

I am sure you can picture the scene: Maggie splashing and squealing like a banchee. La Nina cowering in a corner of the tub, crying she has water in her eyes. After a wipe down, La Nina will try to fight back by dumping water on Maggie's head. This only makes Maggie splash more and La Nina cry louder. I have to admit, I choke back laughter the entire time the two are in the tub together. Maggie is out of control with joy, La Nina angrily complaining she can't hear her music.

And so goes the story of sisters. One joyful to the point of annoying the other. I am sure this scene will play out in many venues of their lives, the roles will be reversed and they will both learn to cope. I am so glad I have a front row seat. I just wish Maggie would keep the water in the tub...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home