Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Celebrating the Little Things

This is such a small achievement, but represents something so big, I just had to write about it. This morning the Magster woke up in her crib and rather than crying, she called me. I sprung out of bed when I heard her little voice call, "Mama". She has been saying "Mama" for sometime, but this was the first time she called me. This little milestone was reached in less than 90 days. From screaming in terror at the site of her crib in our hotel room in China to sleeping peacefully through the night in a crib and now to waking up without crying..just amazing.

Probably more amazing is when I reflect back on her transformation, the time we spent in China, no matter how difficult, did provide us with valuable insight into her personality. When she is excited, tired, emotional, etc., I have learned she doesn't eat. No wonder is didn't eat for the first 3 days. I have learned it takes her a while to warm up to a new environment. No wonder she didn't like the hotel room. I have learned she likes to lodge all of her complaints immediately upon experiencing a problem. No wonder she cried so much, we were rookies with her and were causing her nothing but grief.

It is funny when a baby is handed to you and you don't know that baby, it takes a while to figure out the difference between a transitional issue and a personality trait. As Maggie continues to blossom and the transitional issues continue to subside, it is getting more and more fun to watch the personality emerge.

Now if I can just figure out how to keep her off the kitchen table....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home