Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The D Word

Around our house, Disneyland is referred to as the "D" word. You see, La Nina is not only obsessed with swings, but she is also obsessed with Disneyland. For those of you who think 2 year olds don't get Disneyland, I would like to introduce you to La Nina. We took her to Disneyland last year for her birthday and she has not stopped talking about it. In fact, as her birthday draws near, the chatter is increasing to a fever pitch. Every night the conversation is the same.

She innocently begins, "Mommy, where does Cinderella live?"

I answer her, "In a castle with the other princesses." (There is no need for me to use the D-word.)

She continues, "You mean, with Belle, Aurora and Snow White?"

I answer, "Yes."

Then she boldly states, "Is the castle at Disneyland?"

I answer, "Yes."

Then, she offers up, "We went there once and I like it very much. "

So, I counter, "It is a nice place."

Then the big question, "We go there again?"

And I say, "Yes sometime later."

Of course, this is followed by her asking when, and I am evasive. Now, La Nina watches TV and sometimes the Disney Channel is on for the Wiggles, but her TV viewing is restricted to mostly PBS in the morning. Therefore, I know she rarely sees a Disney commercial. She really likes Cinderella, but Dora is her favorite and Dora isn't a Disney character. Each night at bath time we do listen to Princess music, but the songs are from the movies and make no mention of Disneyland. She reads some princess books, but lately she has been more interested in library books about dogs, not princesses. So, while I search for the source of her interest, she dreams of Disneyland.

Her lack of exposure to all things Disney leads me to believe she remembers our trip on her birthday last year and is associating her upcoming birthday with Disneyland. I have to laugh. What have we started? Does this mean we are going to make a trip for Maggie too in the Fall? The funny thing is, we are going to Disneyland for her birthday and we haven't told La Nina about our trip. In fact, I don't think we are going to tell the girls until we walk into the park. To my knowledge, I haven't discussed these plans in her presence, yet somehow, she knows. I guess it is just Disney working its magic.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Memories light the corners of my heart. :) Just look at my screename & you can figure out what I used to do when I worked there...Carly & I would have been buddies. Anyway! If you're going to buy tickets at the ticket booth at the park, be sure to ask the Cast Member at the ticket window for an "It's my Birthday" sticker for Carly to wear. If they don't have any, you can stop at City Hall (through train tunnel on the left of Town Square) and they should have them. Also inquire at the Plaza Inn (end of Main St. on right)to see if they're having a "birthday party" that day - each person gets their own mini cake to decorate & the big rats, the dogs, and the duck all make an apperance- kids love it.
    Also, if you think you might be going back for Maggie in the summer, you might want to look into purchasing 3 Day Hopper tickets: they're good for any 3 days in a 1 year period (don't have to be consecutive!), and it will save you time & money. I'm not a big fan of CA Adventure, but Maggie would probably love A Bugs Land come summer....just bring a spare change of dry clothes for everyone! :)

     
  • At 8:25 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Oh, Ex-Princess! You have no idea the impression you made on La Nina. The reason she remembers Disneyland is Cinderella. When she met Cinderella, she walked up to her and started stroking her dress. She was so awed she couldn't speak. For the rest of the day at Disneyland, La Nina would spot Cinderella from 200 yards away. From her stroller we would hear her calling "Cin-rella", long before we ever saw Cinderella. And remember La Nina was barely two when she was bit by the Princess bug.

    Thank you for the tips. Always good to hear the scoop from the insider. Have we met you in your alter ego? We have been speculating on your "real" identity.

     
  • At 12:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I smile just reading about it! :) I met many "Carlys" - could spend hours telling you about the beautiful enchanted little girls (and boys!) whos awed faces and shining eyes made my day! A child who believes in the magic is a wonder and a treasure beyond price!
    Sadly no, you have not met me: I hung up my glass slippers (and my crown, and my fin, and my big yellow ball gown, and my Grecian sandals, and lots of other furry outfits) many years ago. I worked at the Main Entrance for awhile (and loved it!)but now I am at home cleaning and decorating my nursery so that when Grp. 103 gets their calls I can go to China & come home with my beautiful daughter!
    DH (who used to be a Prince...all of them actually) is busy painting my former alter egos on the doors of his future daughters closet...but he put Mulan in too. :)

     
  • At 9:41 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Being a Princess/Character must have been a wonderful job. I love that you are adding Mulan to your daughter's mural. I keep encouraging La Nina to like Mulan. I tell her Mulan is the bravest princess of all. And she looks at me with a placating nod and says, "Yes, but Cin-rella wears the blue dress." There is just no defense to fashion. La Nina likes Belle too, but of the Princesses, no one tops Cinderella.

    I may never have met you, but I believe I have seen other posts in cyberspace. Hang in there on the wait.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home