Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Challenge of Reading

One of my fondest childhood memories is of my parents reading to me. As a parent, reading to La Nina has been a nightly ritual that we have enjoyed ever since we arrived home from China. La Nina will sit quietly and listen to books long after she has exhausted both of her parents ability to read to her.

So, given my predisposition to read, you would think reading to the Magster would be a natural. However, reading to Maggie presents unique challenges. You see, Maggie is only silent when she sleeps. When I sit down to read to Maggie, she mimics me and we end up in a shouting match. Maggie also gets so excited by a story or picture, that she will stop 'reading' and begin pounding the book with a zeal that literally knocks the book out of my hands. What is a mother to do with a child that displays such disruptive enthusiasm?

Because Maggie is still learning English, reading is a great way to expand her vocabulary, but she never listens to the act of reading. When the pediatrician asked if we were reading, I explained my little problem and he chuckled. After the tale of Maggie and the Lab, I think nothing my daughter does will shock this doctor. He suggested that eventually she would figure out the words were worth listening to, but I am doubtful. I am determined to read to this child for 45 minutes a day, but it is turning into 45 minutes of squealing, pounding and impish grunting, with a few of my words mixed into the racket. I will prevail in this task, but Heaven help both of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home