Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

But, Mommy, where are our....

We've been recovering all week from Maggie's birthday blow out. I'd like to say it's been a quiet week, but it hasn't been. In fact, both gymnastics and dance had special Halloween events. With a late October birthday in the family, I've noticed we are lacking in the Halloween haunted spirits. Apparently, La Nina noticed too.

The other morning we were driving to work and she innocently asked, "Mommy, where are our halloween decorations? We don't even have a spider in front of our house."

I'd been praying the kids didn't notice the lack of decorations or spiders. Thanks to the pest control service, we're nicely devoid of spiders. And all the distractions of the month also meant we were decidedly unhaunted. Even worse, we really didn't have many decorations. Now you have to know, Halloween is just not my favorite holiday. I'm never very creative with costumes, pumpkins or decorations, but I think having kids means time to get creative.

But unfortunately, I feel like hell this weekend. I think it's the flu shot I had on Wednesday. It gave me a cold sore and cold sores always make me sick. So, I wasn't much in the spirit to deck the halls with ghosts, bats and witches. But I was the only unspirited one. So, I went to Raley's this afternoon. Yep, we haunted our house thanks to our local grocery store. All the decorations were half off, so it didn't cost much to get a few things.

The Dad got the decorative lights installed this evening and the girls and I made "Ms. Princess Potato Head" Pumpkins for the porch. (Have you seen the kits at Target? Really cute.) So, I'm declaring the house decorated, but I have a feeling next year, this ain't gonna cut it.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Julie,

    1st: Happy (belated) Birthday to the Magster! I can't believe she's 3 already.

    2nd: Next year, try what some friends of ours with mid-Oct twins do: they have a Halloween/Pumpkin Carving birthday party. They invite a few families and everyone carves pumpkins, decorates cookies, and the kids make decorations for the porch and put clings on the windows. Everybody has fun, your pumpkin is your goodie, and they end up with extra pumpkins and a decorated house.

    Kinda makes me wish Ten was an Oct b-day!!
    Feel better!!!
    ~Michelle
    www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger JT said...

    Hey, Did you hear those Target Potatohead kits have been recalled (small pieces breaking off= choking hazard).
    FYI. JT PS feel better- cold sores are the worst!

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    You know, I wondered about those "Potato Head" things. The pieces fell apart pretty easy and it was hard to get them into the pumpkin.

    Oh well, it's too late now. We used both packages and the pumpkins do look cute on the porch.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home