Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Soccer Kicks In

This was not the week to be operating with half a brain. Yet here I am with half my brain still in Tahoe, trying to function.  It hasn't been pretty.   Dance started again last week (didn't we just finish last season?) and this week, soccer fired up with practice.  I've been looking forward to the start of soccer season.  I'm coaching, both girls are playing, sounds like fun.  

Except the heat.  It's been over 100 for three days and we've had practice two of those days.  It's some awful rerun from my youth.  I remember starting soccer when it was so hot in the early season games I would fantasize about elephants from the African Plain trampling me every time I heard someone behind me. It always turned out to be some BIG girls from Livermore chasing me down when I had the ball.  Either way, I swear I heard big, pounding steps in my ears.   

Anyhoo, I figured this whole heat thing would seriously limit La Nina's soccer career.  In fact, I figured every degree over 95 meant one game less that she'd want to play. She's opposed to sweat in any form.  She doesn't like the whole mud/grass/ball concept.  She's more diva than soccer allows.  I didn't worry much about the Magster, she's fairly immune to the temperature.  And she loves to get dirty for a cause.  

My practice with the Magster was first.  It was 101 when we took the field.  The Magster did great.  Totally tough on the ball, gotta love it.  And the team did great too.  They look like they're going to rock the U5/U6 division.  After our practice we headed over to La Nina's practice and were shocked to see her running down the field with the ball firmly in control at her feet.  In fact, she looked like she knew what she was doing.  And she was smiling.  And sweating. Was she ill? I wondered.  

And even more shocking.   She came off the field asking a bunch of questions and including when she practiced next.  It led me to believe, she like soccer.  Alot.  As for the Magster, she's loving soccer, she's a bit out of control on the field, but she doesn't mind crashing, so eventually she'll stay on her feet.

So, now I need to figure out how I can make it to five dance classes, 4 soccer practices and a piano lesson while finishing a book.  Hmmmmm....good thing I like a challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home