Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Spelling Words

La Nina's reached the age of spelling tests.  Each week she's assigned Spanish five words to study and on Friday she's tested.  (She's also given five English words.)  So, far these tests have been a breeze, the challenge has been in the practice with Mom.  Below is a conversation from earlier tonight.  

Me:  Reading spelling words..."tiena"
La Nina:  "Mom, that isn't a word in Spanish.  Do you mean 'tiene'?"
Me:  Oh yeah.  You're right, tiene.
La Nina:  Huffs loudly then writes the word.
Me:  "grande"
La Nina:  Do you mean 'gran-they', because you said your "d" like English and if the word is grande, then it has a softer d.  
Me:  (getting grumpy)  Yes, yes...that's right.  Just write the word.
La Nina:  Huffs loudly then writes the word
Me:  "otra"
La Nina:  Let me see that paper.  I'm pretty sure you mean otro.  
Me:  No, really, it's otra.  
La Nina:  Okay, but that better be a word. 
Me:  Trust me, it's a word.
La Nina:  Shoots me a look that says, and you think I should believe a woman who says tiena?   
The rule is that if she aces the practice test, I sign it and her spelling homework is done.  So, she takes these practice tests very seriously. (And accent marks count as a 1/2 point off, so she has to get it right.)  Luckily, the kid is a good enough student that she can spell despite her mother's deficiencies in Spanish pronunciation.  I thought my Spanish was at least second grade level.  Guess I was off by a year.  

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home