Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Things I Carry

When I first got home from China with La Nina, I couldn't get over how much stuff I had to carry everywhere we went.  Bottles, diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, a host of lotions and snacks filled my diaper bag.  I lugged that black backpack with its side zip pocket for quick access from Gymboree to the doctors' to park playdates to visits with family.  It was never far from sight.   When La Nina potty trained, I had a few months bag-free, then the Magster came along and I was back to lugging the diaper bag for another year or so.  

Back then, I longed for the day when I could move about without carrying ten pounds of stuff for someone else.  Today, nearly six years into the journey of parenthood, I'm still hoping for that day.  Sure my bags have changed.  Now I carry backpacks filled with school work, lunch boxes protecting healthy mid-day meals, mesh soccer bags filled with balls, dance bags with three changes of shoes and a slim black handbag designed for piano books.

Oh and these bags require different supplies everyday.  The dance bag needs black tights on Tuesday and pink tights on Thursdays, and I need to remember to repack every Wednesday night.  The backpacks include library books, permission slips, school communications and homework and needs to be filled and refilled with different items every day and two kids means two different schedules.  And don't ask about that darn lunch box.  I'm still trying to figure out how to fill it with something that will be eaten at lunch.  

Now I long for the good old days.  One diaper bag filled with diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, maybe a bottle or two.  It was so simple back then.  A consistent list of items needed to help a baby get through everyday.  I didn't know how good I had it.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home