Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Golf Really?

I've heard a rumor that the most unused athletic scholarships at the college level are found in the area of women's golf. I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere. And I also know from talking to one of the varsity coaches that most varsity girls golf teams at the high school level have space available. So...being the scheming type of mom that I am, why not toss the kids into golf? Low risk of injury, life long skill and fun, upside is a college scholarship, varsity sport...why not?

So, this week, the camp of the week is golf camp, two hours a day through the local First Tee organization at the local driving range. No need to take an obnoxious amount of water (see previous post), no need to pack a lunch, just drop the kids off and let them hit the ball. My kind of camp.

On Sunday, First Tee had a clinic and we sent the girls as a warm up. For $15 a kid, they got a golf lesson with the coach from a local college plus they participated in a bunch of golf related games like putting contests, chipping contests, etc. When the girls came in from the clinic, I was very curious. Did they like it?

La Nina loved it. She won the putting contest for the little kids and thought driving the golf ball was the best. But what about the Magster? I wondered about my energizer bunny. Golf is more sedate than soccer and for a girl who is counting the days to when soccer practice starts I wondered what she would think.

When I asked, instead of giving me a thumbs up or thumbs down the Magster greeted me with all 10 fingers pointing straight to the ceiling. "What does that mean I asked?" "Mom, every finger is giving golf the thumbs up. Even my butt is giving golf a thumbs up."

Now, we've never had an activity that received a butt thumb's up on any activity. I was excited about golf camp for the girls and let me tell you it's a hit. They love putting, their teacher, hanging out at the range. They bound out of bed every morning, get dressed and are ready to go. Even La Nina is happy getting out of bed early for golf camp and she's definitely not a morning person.

Through the camp, they're now members of First Tee and can play at a local par 3 golf course for $3 a round plus get a discount on buckets of balls. Both girls want their papa to take them to the driving range next week and are asking if we can play golf on an upcoming vacation.

Now, I know many of you are thinking, golf...what an expensive activity. Through First Tee, it's not bad. And we're dance parents. Golf is nothing compared to dance. So far, the girls think golf is their second favorite activity next to dance and soccer, respectively. Who knows? May be my scheme will work out after all.






2 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM , Blogger Marci said...

    Has La Nina figured out that there are golf shoes? And golf outfits? Imagine the closet building potential!

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Don't tell her! I swear part of why she likes tennis is the girl across the street has all these cute skirts!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home