Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Five Months Ago

Hard to believe that it was only five months ago when a frightened baby was handed to us in a crowded conference room in China. To think back, it is even harder to believe that scared little girl would grow so quickly into the Maggie we know and love today. She has come so far so fast it is just incredible. A few updates for my long time readers:

Project Daddy Love has been successfully completed. I can now leave for the evening and Daddy can change Maggie, give her a bottle and put her down with no drama. Five months ago, she wouldn't let me leave her alone with him under any conditions. Now, when Daddy comes home, she squeals with delight, jumps for joy and runs to him with her arms out.

Separation Anxiety: Much, much better. In fact, Maggie can now stay with family members at their house for several hours and is fine. She even waved good bye and blew me a kiss that last time I left her with NanaPapa. No tears. She still doesn't like strangers much. She won't let others touch her and will run to me if a stranger approaches her, but that is normal at this age.

Eating. For the most part, Maggie's eating issues are gone. Five months ago she had never seen solid food. Today she will eat anything that isn't a fruit or vegetable. She still takes one bottle a day before she goes to bed and I am in no hurry to change that. I think it is important for bonding. (OK, I might stop when she turns two if she is still wanting her bottle.)

Language: Maggie understands everything we say to her these days and she selectively listens like any normal child. She also is saying more and more words everyday. She still babbles in a language that only she understands most of the time, but she never ceases to amaze me with how much that babble sounds like sentences. The inflection is perfect and she looks me in the eye as if she is trying to say something. It is quite uncanny. A couple of my favorite words: "bu-bu" (bubbles), "stay" (telling the dogs to stay including the hand gesture) and "che" (cheese whenever we are taking a picture). I am pretty sure she is completely on track for an 18-month.

Motor Skills: Unfortunately, Maggie excels in this area. Oh..I mean fortunately. Maggie excels in this area. Maggie is very coordinated and thus, very active. She runs (mostly away from me), she jumps (off of furniture), she climbs anything (loves getting on those counters) and she can keep up with her big sister 85% of the time. My hair is getting grayer by the day thanks to this kid's motor skills. I have to remind myself this is a good thing, especially when she is climbing the rock wall at the park. (I am not kidding.)

So, five months later, we have a second beautiful, spirited, mischievous little girl sharing our lives. We aren't quite sure how we got so lucky two times in a row, but we enjoying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home