Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Finally: I finished the Book!

Well, after complaining about not finishing Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince for the last couple of posts, I am happy to report I finished it today. My Mom had the kids and the first order of business was finish the book! I thought I would give my overall assessment of the book. I will try not to give anything away, yet provide something helpful.

This was definitely a good book. Not the best in the series, but solid. The plot line was a little different: No one is overtly chasing Potter. The threat is more subtle. There is a sense of urgency that Harry must unravel some past mysteries to secure his future. So, with his friends, Harry spends the book trying to get to the bottom of several mysteries, past and present.

Not only does Book 6 provide a lot of history to major series themes, it also tied past story lines together. In fact, before I read Book 7, I will want to read all of the books again. I know that is sort of crazy, but it has been so long since I read some of those early books, that I can't remember all the sub plots. I pulled out Book 2 tonight to reread a section I had forgotten on Tom Riddle's Diary. After reading the section I was interested in, I was amazed at how well it hung together with Book 6. JK Rowlings was definitely a writer with a plan when she wrote this series. I don't know how she kept the details straight.

This book is more adult than the other books. It has more adult themes, not sexual, but more complex. It is not a book for younger readers. It deals with themes like death and deceit, and the gray areas of evil. Parents will need to consider if their kids are ready for this type of fiction.

The characters grow signficantly in this story. I could envision the witches and wizards these characters were going to grow to be after this book- especially Harry, Hermione and Ron. There is a significant death in the book. I have been hearing of people sobbing as they read the scene. It is definitely an intense scene, but it didn't make me cry. As I was reading, I realized that this death had to happen for the plot to work, so I wasn't surprised by it.

So, that is it. The book and entire series is worth reading. It was worth locking myself in my bedroom to finish. In the end, it seemed like a 650 page set up for the grand finale--Book 7--and it is a great set up. I can't wait for Book 7. By then, maybe La Nina will be old enough for Book 1!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not sure if you will get this in time, but on TLC/Trading Spaces, there are 2 couples from Montreal and one of the couples adopted a beautiful daughter from China. This is the Saturday PM episode that also airs again on Sunday AM/PM sometime. Just check the info on the show and it will reflect Montreal: Monpetit Blvd... if you are interested.

     
  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately we were camping last weekend and missed your post.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home