Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Gift of Language

I have always been one to enjoy parenting more once my children can speak. The guess work involved in toddlerhood is tough and I just prefer my child let me know what she is thinking.

With La Nina, language development was fun. She slowly added single words like "ball", then two word phrases such as "red ball" and finally, she started speaking in sentences, "I want a red ball". Her process was text book and she spoke young for a child who didn't hear English until she was 9 months old. Maggie has approached language in fits and starts. She started with a phrase, "Iwanna..." then she slowly added words onto the end of her phrase. "Iwannacracker" was first, "Iwannajuice" was fairly early too. "Iwannasleep" has still not occurred, but I am ever hopeful.

Of late, I am questioning my desire to have my children speak, ever. You see, neither of my children value silence. In fact, La Nina is quieter than the Magster...and trust me, it is hard to believe La Nina is quieter than anyone. But it is the Magster who I believe may just drive me crazy. Because when you couple her determination with language, you are in for one long day.

When the Magster wants something, she begins a chant. Her chants begin around 6AM and it is always the same chant first. "I want juice. Momma, Juice. I need juice. Please, momma, juice. Mommeeeee, Juice." You get the idea. By 7:30AM, she is chanting about "Waffulls". The chant morphs into Crackers around 10AM, and by the time the Lunch chant starts, I am done. We have never had any of the cute two word phrases. With Maggie it is all demands, all the time.

Lest you think it is only me who gets frustrated with her never-ending pleadings, it isn't. Today at pre-school her teacher called her "persistent and hard to distract" because she asked for her "boo banky" for 3 hours straight. Yesterday, at the gym, the childcare person popped in a Pooh video to quiet her down. She saw the video on the shelf and asked for it for 45 minutes straight. So, what to do with the child who will not only not take 'no' for an answer, but will pester the most hard nosed pre-school teachers into submission?

I have no idea. So, as always, I turned to my Mom. You see, the advantage of living near your mother is she can provide you with sage advice, pearls of wisdom, insight and common sense solutions not found in today's child rearing books. But when I turned to my mother in my time of need, she had a good laugh. 'What goes around comes around' were her exact words. Perhaps I finally found the curse my mother levelled against me.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger Chris Ayers & Kelly Kline said...

    Julie, I'll be looking for advice from you on this one! Helen is obsessed with icecream -- so much so that she also chants, and leads us to the freezer, and then throws a tantrum when it doesn't have the intended result. We can't say the word anymore, and avoid reading her books that have pictures of icecream cones! Kelly

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    This cracked me up! Someone was just asking me if things were easier now that she is talking instead of screaming...I said I am not sure if it is easier because now she just saying "Iwantjuice,bunny,shoes,socks....etc.."
    ALL day instead of screaming! and there is NO possible way she could talk more than Cameron does when she is four, right???
    Lisa

     
  • At 6:56 AM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    I have no idea what to do with her. I have tried time outs, but she is really too young for them yet. I try just giving her an "Austin Powers" style, "zippp", and that makes her laugh. And incidently, Kelly, the tantrum at the end of her chant is what got her the Pooh video at the gym. And Lisa, my latest theory is Maggie screamed, because she wanted stuff and couldn't get the words out.

     
  • At 10:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Julie, Kelly, & Lisa:

    Thank you all for horrifying me once again. :) I've been dying for Tenley to get some words (something besides "Mama" which she uses for everything), and given that she and Maggie seem to be cut from the same bolt of cloth, I'm suddenly starting to hear the old "careful what you wish for" addage rolling around in my brain. YIKES!! Julie please keep us posted on Mag's progress... I think I'll be needing your sage advice shortly!!!

    ~Michelle
    www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger Andrea (MaoMaoChong de Mama) said...

    Okay, probably you're not reading this far back, but I liked this post, too. And there are enough names I recognize in the comments to make me wonder--USAA?
    You make me feel either lucky or really scared, or both! Lucky because Bella is talking a LOT (and seemed to be talking more than same age kids at 18 months, after only 3 months in the US!), but mostly really not as part of a demand--and certainly not 45 minutes or 3 hours worth--mama! The worry is that this is yet to come. I joke that she is practicing to be 2, and she certainly is sometimes, but mostly she is pretty fun, and when not she is pretty distractable with books, doggies, fruit (Costco dried mangoes especially, but they bring the danger of the demands for MORE!! (she learned this in English while still in China!), etc. I hope she never gets quite Maggie's attention span, lol! And I wish you strength!
    -Andrea

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home