Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Well, 2006 is upon us and I have not made a single New Year's Resolution. Last year, I posted some resolutions and I generally failed to keep them. I did ok on keeping the refrigerator clean, but the poor dog definitely didn't get out much and I drink more caffeine than ever these days. (Hey--I have two kids. Caffeine is my drug of choice!)

This time last year, EVERYONE was in transition. I was getting used to having two kids. La Nina, then 2.5, was getting used to being a sister. Maggie, then 14 months, was getting used to life with a family. And the Dad was running for cover. There were days I would call him and say "Get out. Save yourself. The ship is sinking." He would laugh, but I was serious. I had some LONG days. I am happy to report, days like that have subsided.

So me, the obsessive planner, the woman who always has a goal and a strategy to attain it, is lacking any sort of direction as the new year begins. But know what I want: I want this year to be about slowing down and really appreciating the girls while they are still little. That means goals are counter productive, because I want to savor their childhoods more this year and goals take me away from that. A friend recently gave me some advice: "Forget the intellectual challenge for now," she said. This was a shocking statement coming from her. She has an MBA, a big career and two kids. She went on, "In 3 years, Maggie will start school and this time of your life will be over. I wish I spent more time with them when they were little."

Her statement made me think. She is right. The toughest year is now behind me and I will spend only a couple more years with my kids before school and homework descend on us. In comparison, this phase of my life will last shorter than many other phases. So, my goal for this year is to keep that in perspective, even on the days that feel really, really long.

Happy New Year Everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home