Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

When Mommy's Away...

This weekend, I'm taking a few days off from the family to attend a writing conference in Salinas. (Laugh if you must, but Steinbeck did hail from that area.) I haven't been away from the family since we adopted Maggie almost two years ago. I'm glad I've taken my time on this as I feel like now the girls are really ready to stay with Daddy. And more importantly, he's ready to stay alone with them.

I have only one worry, ok, may be two worries. Worry Number One: Do you think the Dad will remember to feed the kids? I worry about this. He sometimes forgets to feed himself. I plan to stock the kids drawer in the refrigerator with lots of healthy food and the kids can open the refrigerator and help themselves, so they won't starve. Plus I bought some lunchables so all he has to do is open a container...yet, I worry.

Worry Number Two: The Magster's Hair. The Magster doesn't have bangs, because every day I put a ponytail in her hair. Now I have to admit that putting a ponytail in the Magster's hair is a bit like...well, roping a bucking bronco. She's a moving target. The Dad doesn't even attempt her hair on most occasions. He'll fix La Nina's hair, because she'll stand still and help him. The Magster doesn't believe cooperation is necessary when it comes to having her hair done. One day, he actually let La Nina do Maggie's hair. It wasn't pretty. So, I worry the poor Magster will run around all weekend with her hair in her eyes.

So, while I'm taking workshops on dialogue, point of view, voice and plot--I know, I'm a geek-- I'll hopefully not be too worried that my kids are running around hungry with really bad hair. And if you see them around town, please remind my husband to feed the kids and if you have a barrett in your pocket, can you stick it in Maggie's hair?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home