Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Updates

Boy, since I found out about the writing conference, I haven't been blogging much.  So, I'll just post a few brief updates that will perhaps explain why.

End of Year Party Season:  La Nina wrapped up Kindergarten with a series of parties to end all parties.  She spent her last days in the safety of Kindergarten attending picnics, pool bashes, pizza feasts, etc.  The festivities left her feverish.  Literally.  In fact, she came down with a mysterious fever that appeared every afternoon around 3pm and disappeared over night.  

FCC Camp Out:  La Nina and her fevers caused us to arrive a day late at the camp out.  The car was packed and we were minutes from leaving when I discovered La Nina asleep on the floor, running a 102 temperature.  I gave her motrin, the fever broke, but we chose not to push our luck in a tent with a fever.  We've had way too much nights spent in the van at Olema to want to chance it again.  

Anyway, the camp out was the usual great time.  I could wax poetic about the power of seeing all the girls running around together, but I just don't have time today.  So, suffice to say, we had a great time and the fever seemed to stay away.  

Emergency Room Visits:  Until yesterday when La Nina came to me with a lump on one of her two beloved sucking fingers.  To me, it looked like a pus-filled sack (yep, pretty gross) to her it just hurt.  Never being sure of first aid protocol when it comes to problems of this nature, I took a wait and see posture.  The infection I saw yesterday afternoon had doubled in size.  So- obviously something had to be done.  La Nina was howling like a wounded animal at the mere thought of us dealing with it, so I called the doctor.  

For future reference, if your child has a growing infection on their finger, proceed immediately to the nearest emergency room.  (Who knew?)  Two hours later, La Nina and I emerged from the emergency room.  The doctor had numbed, lanced and wrapped in sterile cotton the hurting finger.  She's now on antibiotics and suspended from swim lessons until next week.  

We're hoping the fact that her sucking finger is wrapped in tape and gauze will help her break her long-standing habit.  Of course, I don't think this will do it.  But I'm willing to leave her finger bandaged as long as possible to see if it works.

Swim Lessons:  Just because La Nina is riding the bench at swim lessons, doesn't mean Maggie can't take classes.  With her sister and I looking on, the Magster did a great job in class today for her MALE teacher.  Can you believe it?  The child who will barely speak to men she's known all her life is hanging with a college-age male swim teacher and liking it.  Mr. J (name hidden to protect the innocent) is great with kids.  He's "hilarious" according to La Nina.  And I'm impressed with how quickly he can dive into the pool and snag kids who are struggling.  We saw one of Maggie's classmates test old Mr. J a bit, and he didn't miss a beat.  Despite the fact he's a big guy, he's sort of soft spoken and he clowns around just enough to appear non-threatening.  Regardless of his techniques and the fact the Magster grouses a bit about being the only girl in her class, she's handling the situation beautifully.

So, that's it from me.  Now, I have 10,000 words I need to get to work on, so please forgive me if I'm a bit brief over the next few weeks.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home