Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

It's a group thing.

I love this theme of interviewing myself, because it keeps me on topic and focused. Also, it gives me something to think about all day, besides the fact I don't know when I am going to China. Even if my sister is the only person reading this, this blog is actually helping me kill some wait time and get my mind off the real issues. So, without further adieu: Another very common question I am asked is, "Do you travel with a group?"

Yes and that is probably the best part of this experience. Our agency bundles dossiers by the month in which they are received and assigns your family to a group. This group consists of people from all walks of life, of all backgrounds and from all over the country. The only thing you have in common at the start of the process is that you turned in your paperwork at roughly the same time to adopt a child from China.

During the wait, you may meet some of the members from your group in person or on line with your list serve. But once you get to China, the adoption process with our agency is a group experience. You stay in the same hotel, you ride the same buses, you eat the same meals-most of the time, you keep the same official and unofficial appointments and you share the same cultural experiences.

This is the group of people who witness the birth of your family and the only group you rely on for the first few days with your child. You share toys, diapers, wipes, drugs and other supplies. More importantly, your group becomes family to which your new family belongs. The experienced Moms help the new Moms. The Dads scheme about emailing pictures home and trade tips on how to get sports scores. The older siblings play together in the halls of the hotels. With these people, you experience your first highs and lows of parenthood and in some cases, you form very profound bonds.

Next to my daughter, the most cherished items I brought back from China were my frienships with our group. And I know these are friends I will have for a very long time. There is a bigr part of me that can not imagine adopting without them holding my camera, handing me a dropped toy, showing me how to mix fruit into the rice cereal. I know there will be a new group. While the faces on the trip will be different, it will be ok. The experience of adopting Maggie should be different and unique.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home