Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Magster and Vegetables

It is quite possible Maggie is going to hit two and never consume a piece of fruit or a vegetable. She comes so close. She puts the strawberry in her mouth, she chews it, then she spits it out. It is so frustrating to watch. I get fruit into her through smoothies, she loves to sip my morning creation. She especially loves to steal her sister's smoothie.

Vegetables are another matter. I can't hide them easily in a sweet milk shake like drink. She will eat frozen peas and canned green beans. At our last visit, I was talking to the doctor about the gaps in Maggie's diet and he said something that got me thinking. He said that her issue must be one of texture. Hmmmmm....I have always wondered if she didn't like crunchy food because she was exposed to solid food so late. (I am certain she had never had solid food before we adopted her.)

So, the other night I intentionally overcooked some broccoli. My biggest worry is she is going to be anemic, so I thought iron-rich broccoli was just the ticket. My non-veggie kid chowed the overcooked trees and asked for more. Since then, I have fiddled with other foods and discovered Maggie will also eat applesauce of all flavors: apples only, apples with berries, etc. Apparently, the old' pediatrician could be onto something here!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We have discovered the power of Pesto sauce with veggies - they make them go down better, evidently.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home