Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Enjoying Art with My Kids

I have long dreamed of the day when I will take my girls to an art museum and begin nurturing an appreciation for art. My parents took me to a few exhibits as a child, and I have fond memories of those times. Those visits laid the foundation for my current appreciation of art and its history. In fact, one of the best things about my husband is that he loves art as much as I do. So, I fully intend to try to pass this appreciation onto my kids.

Today, for the first time, the girls and I had a chance to discuss a work of art. We were leaving the library when La Nina noticed a pair of bronze sculptures. The first statue is of a little girl reading a book, the second is of a little boy laying on his belly looking up at her.

Since I wanted to hear about the art as she experienced it, not as I did, I had La Nina tell me about the statues. And she busily went about telling me the sculpture was of a little girl reading to a little boy, who was listening, and he was her little brother and she had a bow in her hair, etc. It was quite endearing to hear her insights. An older woman stopped near us to listen in and she was as touched as I was by La Nina's description. At 3 1/2, La Nina is a very observant child.

The Magster, of course, was following the conversation with great interest. She was standing in the sun near the statue of the little girl, swinging her arms and looking very interested. Finally, while La Nina was trying to decide which Alfie book the little girl was reading, the Magster walked up to the sculpture, pointed to the girl's hiney and blurted out, "Poo-Poo". The older woman and I cracked up.

But in a larger sense, the Magster was appreciating the art in the context of her life experience just as much as La Nina and I were. At 22 months, her life is simple. From her perspective, who gives a fig if the girl is reading? She has a bottom and must "poo-poo", was probably Maggie's thought process. And you know, the Magster kind of had a point.

As the three of us, made our way to the van, I realized I may someday forget that La Nina decided the little girl was reading "Alfie Gets In First", but I will never forget that little girl "poo-poos".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home