Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"Iwannadre"

I take back every thing nice I said about the Magster in my last post. I have officially now delivered two mother's curses to her. The first I delivered in the middle of the night when she had been screaming for two hours and showed no signs of tiring. Today, I delivered the second. I picked her up, looked her in the eye and said, "I hope some day you have a child exactly like yourself."

At the age of 22 months, the Magster is suddenly picky about clothes. This started a couple of days ago when she ran into her closet and announced, "Iwannadre". (In case you don't speak Mag-eng-ese that means 'I want a dress'.) I was a little dumbfounded by her determination, so I went along.

Then yesterday, I started to dress her in a pair of shorts and a shirt. She curled into a ball on the bedroom floor and screamed, "Iwannadre". I thought any dress would do so I pulled out a dress that says "San Francisco Giants" on it, and she started sobbing "no, no, no". Apparently, the Magster isn't a Giants fan. Several outfit attempts later, Maggie left the house in a skort and a tank top.

Today, she actually sat in her room and cried when I dressed her in the wrong outfit. I thought I would assert my parental control over the situation--mostly because all of her dresses were in the laundry--and I wrestled her into an adorable shirt and bike shorts. And trust me, dressing a Magster who doesn't want to get dressed is no easy task. When it became apparent she wasn't leaving her room in the outfit I selected, I became desperate. I remembered I had hand-me-downs from La Nina. I ran out to the garage, pulled out a hand-me-down from her sister and put it on her. She smiled, did her best princess twirl, threw 'unkie' over her shoulder and headed down the hall with her little nose in the air. At that point, I picked her up and delivered the curse.

If at 22 months, the Magster is dictating clothing selection, what is going to happen when she is 13? I am doomed and the curse is my only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home