Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Close Encounter

Yesterday, I was shopping with the kids in our usual grocery store. I have shopped in this store for years. Most of the clerks know me, know my kids and know our story. We were in the produce section, when I thought I heard someone say, 'Lady, your kids don't look like you.' Since my back was turned and the comment was obnoxious, I chose to ignore it.

We finished up the shopping and headed for the check out stands. The girls were antsy and I was just trying to get them out of the store without breaking something. There was only one check out stand open, so we got in line behind a man.

The man looked at me and the girls, and I had a sinking feeling I was face to face with the heckler.

"These children don't look like you," he said to me.

"Every child has their own look," I answered, my tone icy.

Figuring he was going to get nowhere with me, he asks La Nina, "Are you with your babysitter?"

"No," she pipes back, "She is my mommy."

Gesturing to Maggie in the cart, he continues, "And this is your sister?"

"Yes, but she is just a baby," La Nina answers.

So, the guy finally gets some guts and addresses me again, "You married an Oriental?"

I am fuming, but La Nina is all eyes and ears, so I smile, shrug my shoulders and laugh at him, "No."

"You are a liar," are his next words to me. "You are not telling me the truth. You are lying. There is something going on here."

I was livid, my heart was pounding, but I forced myself to look the man in the eye and evenly say, "Sir, I have told you more than you deserve to know."

At that point, he turns to the clerk and complains, "This woman is rude. She lies." I am outraged to be called a liar for the second time by a buffoon, but again, with La Nina watching and I say nothing. I just look at the clerk and raise my eyebrows, a gesture questioning that last statement.

The clerk had heard our exchange and I can tell from her body language she is as upset as I am. She takes his groceries, carefully puts them in a bag, and after a very long pause, she says "You are the one who is rude, sir."

The man is stunned and leaves the store. She looks at me, we exchange smiles, partner in crimes smiles, and she lets my girls help her unpack the cart as always. As I turn to leave, she offers, "You handled him well. I probably would have punched him."

I didn't say anything and just nodded. I really didn't want to acknowledge how hard my heart was beating or how scared I was that he was going to make a scene or give La Nina a clue that both the clerk and I were shaken.

Perhaps, I have been lucky not to encounter such in-your-face rudeness until now. For the first time, I was forced to firmly set a boundary to protect my children. And that is the funny thing about these random encounters, you just don't know. He could have been some nice older man with a strange approach or he could have been simply mean. My instincts told me the guy was ignorant and racist. Was he racist? I don't know. Was he nuts? I don't know. But, the encounter shook me and made me realize that even in this lovely little hamlet in which we live, my family could be in for a turbulent ride.

11 Comments:

  • At 8:49 PM , Blogger Donna said...

    Bravo. You did good!!! I'm a pretty diplomatic person but I'm not sure I could have managed as much self control as you!

    Donna
    Mom to Gwen of Shenzhen

     
  • At 11:33 PM , Blogger princess teri said...

    you handled it well. i'm not really sure what i would have said but i'm sure i would have been up all night thinking about what i should have said.

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    The only thing I would have said different is when the man pointed out that the girls didn't look like me, I should have agreed and added: "They are far more beautiful." Other than that, I have no regrets.

     
  • At 2:07 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    This in unbelievable to me!! You handeled yourself so well! I am not sure he was racist, I seriously think he was CRAZY!! and you don't want to mess with those kind of people...The worst comment I have gotten strange man_"is she yours?" Me-"yes", Him- "She has a little bit of asian in her". I just smiled and said "yes, she does"...
    Lisa

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger rubyiscoming said...

    OMIGOD! My heart is pounding just from READING this, let alone imagining how you were fuming during this interchange. You were brilliant! Seriously, Oscar winning performance to keep your cool when dealing with a complete nutter (best case) and/or utter racist (worst case).
    Cheers to you for keeping a cool head!
    Kim

     
  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger panamenya said...

    Just discovered your blog through The Naked Ovary...

    The way you handled that was amazing! Judging from the way that man spoke to you, I think he must have some sort of mental problems. So sorry you had to deal with it.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You handled this well and you showed your daughters how to be dignified and private under attack.
    Take care,
    Linda

     
  • At 9:44 PM , Blogger PinkDevora said...

    Oh jeez, that is so, so scary. You handled it really well though...

     
  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger mama d said...

    Your comments to him are MUCH better than my standard, "Could you repeat that? I don't speak 'idiot'." Brava! You're a fantastic teacher ...

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You handled that much better than I did when something like that happened to me this week. i am going to write about it on Macy Day. Miss you guys. Look for an email from me in a bit. love, elizabeth

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Andrea (MaoMaoChong de Mama) said...

    Oh yikes! You did a great job. So far my worst comment was from a co-worker, the old "how much did she cost?" question. I just said "oh, well, kids are always pretty expensive, but so worth it, don't you think?"--she's generally ignorant (you should have heard her on pregnancy loss), so I should have known to avoid her, but I'm so darned friendly. And I need to work on that, I know. Practice putting on my "tough and unapproachable" face instead of my reference librarian's "what question may I answer for you?" face. Hard, hard, hard. Anyway, great job!
    Andrea

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home