Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane....

As the old tune goes, our bags are packed and I'm ready to go...well, sort of.

We are leaving on our first ever vacation sans the kids tomorrow morning. It's been 20 months without a single night away from the kids...you're probably think we are heading somewhere very adult: Vegas, Hawaii, New York, Chicago....but somehow I'm bet you will never guess where we are heading. We're going to Ohio! Yep, Buckeye State, here we come.

I've been doing a little research in advance of my trip: Ohio achieved statehood in 1803, the state flower is the scarlet carnation AND its capital is Columbus. But we're not going to Columbus. In fact, we are going somewhere that will make the hearts of most of my male readers pound a little harder: We are going to Canton for the NFL Hall of Fame Induction ceremony.

My uncle offered to travel in my suitcase, the guy I share an office with at work practically asked me for my autograph and believe me, this is the ONLY vacation my husband as ever planned. He's more worried about what clothes to take than I am. Over the next five days, we are going to witness one heck of a sports spectacle from inside the lines. It will be very exciting.

Even more amazing, we have the incredible honor of traveling with the group supporting and celebrating Coach John Madden's induction into the Hall of Fame. We will be traveling with about 150 friends and family members of Coach Madden. Tomorrow we leave on a chartered flight (of course, Coach Madden is already in route on the cruiser) and the festivities begin on Friday. We will be going to dinners, touring the Hall of Fame, watching a parade and witnessing the ultimate tear jerking ceremony in sports: The induction of 6 men into a Pro Football Hall of Fame. According to the web site, over 80 Hall of Famers plan to attend the ceremony, so we will be rubbing elbows with football's elite, elder statesman.

Auntie and Tio will be stepping into manage the home front, just as they did when we traveled to China to adopt Maggie. I'm confident the word "No" will not be uttered throughout the duration of our trip, meals will consist of pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries and bedtimes will become a quaint parental notion with little relevance to Auntie and Tio's rule. (I have utter faith that my girls will have a ball.)

And as much as I'm excited about this once in a life-time opportunity, I'm worried about my girls. Well, really, I'm worried about Maggie. La Nina made it two weeks without us while we were in China, I know she'll be fine. But the Magster has never gone a night without me, and I've not gone a night without her in 20 months. And as much sleep as that child has stolen from me, it's odd to think of a night without the threat of her sweet invasion into my slumber.

Oh, most times, I don't find those invasions so sweet, they are down right irritating. I mean, I think I can count the complete night's sleep I've had in the last 20 months on one hand. Yet, I'm so used to getting up at least once a night, I bet I wake up every night I'm in Ohio and wonder how my little night stalker is doing. (Incidently, in case you're wondering, once La Nina goes down, she rarely wakes up.)

So, my blog will be taking on a different turn for the next few days. I will be writing daily. I promised Coach Madden I would write about my experiences for him...and you'll be reading my drafts. A few people I hope I get to meet: Dan Marino. He adopted two girls from China with my agency. I watched his whole induction ceremony last year just hoping to see his daughters. The cameras were kind and granted my wish...his girls are beautiful. Gary Hogeboom. I know he isn't a hall of famer, but I would love to hear his Survivor stories. Steve Young. I always thought he was more exciting to watch than Joe Montana.

So there you have it. The adventure of the lifetime and I hope I can take all of you along for the ride.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger M3 said...

    Wow, have a wonderful trip - can't wait to hear all about it.

    I am, of course, still terribly upset that I don't get to meet you at our local parents gathering this month. Might even be pouting just a tiny bit. ;-)

     
  • At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Julie:

    It's Kelly Miller. If you see Dan Marino tell him that Marty Miller says hi. Marty worked for the Dolphins one season as a trainer. THey were also the ones who referred us to USAA. Small world...Have a great time!

    Love,
    Kelly Miller

     
  • At 2:39 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    Who cares where it is! You get to go by yourself! The plane ride alone will be like a vacation(sort of)...Have fun!
    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home