Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Miscellaneous

So, I'm typing this post wrapped up in blankets because our heater won't start. Why, oh why did we wait until mid-November to test it out? I've put extra blankets on the kids beds, and I'm hoping they stay warm. Why is it that as our house is approaching it's 10th birthday everything is falling apart?

******************************************************************

We had one of those weekends that looked quiet on paper and ended up being crazy busy. So busy that I never made it to the grocery store and we ran out of milk during dinner. This, of course, caused both girls to act as if their brittle bones would snap in two if we didn't get them milk immediately. The Dad made an emergency milk run and I'm happy to say we're prepared for morning.

*******************************************************************

Highlights from the weekend: A birthday party for a Suixi sister and a great chance to catch up with other families we traveled with, a trip to Farmer's Market in the rain and hot cocoas, a visit to Auntie and Tio in their new digs. We had a great time, but really wonder where all the time went.

*******************************************************************

An update on my efforts to improve my exposure to literature: I finished the Grapes of Wrath and I never read a word. I listened to it in my car on tape. It was fabulous, I can't believe my English teachers never suggested that. I also read Pride and Prejudice for the first time. Of course, I'd seen the movie and knew the story, but seeing the movie is just never the same. Now, I get why in Bridget Jones Diary she named the love interest Mr. Darcy. Why did I miss that before?

In case you're wondering, I back to reading trash. Thankfully my foray into literature was short lived. Maybe I'll give something else more serious a try after I rest my brain a little.

*******************************************************************

Two years ago today, we'd just arrived in China and were getting ready to meet Ms. Maggie. I looked at her photo album with her tonight and for the first time, she asked me why she was crying in all the pictures. I told her I didn't know and asked her why she thought she was crying. Her answer, "I was lonely, Momma, and I was really, really scared." That old expression straight from the mouth of babes come gems of wisdom was never more true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home