Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tales from the Dark Side of Motherhood

I swear, I think I should use that title for the blog. Everyday something seems to happen to reinforce my mediocrity at motherhood. But the one yesterday was exceptionally bad.

So, I take the kids shoe shopping a couple of times a year. Of course, for La Nina any trip to the store is all about shoes, but we have two trips designated for shoe buying. A Spring trip where we get sandals and sneakers and a fall trip where we get sneakers and winter play shoes. All other shoes I buy the kids are from Target or somewhere equally inexpensive.

Anyway, yesterday we ended up doing the Fall shoe excursion. La Nina was in her glory. She put on a skirt, brushed her hair and danced aroud for hours at the thought of visiting the shoe shop. And when we got to the store she promptly fell in love with a pair of white patent leather Mary Janes. Now, I'm all for patent leather, but white after Labor Day? Well...no daughter of mine will appear in Glamour magazine with the fashion "Don't" bar covering her eyes. So she didn't get the white shoes and we compromised on a black patent leather shoe and white heart sneakers, she was thrilled.

Maggie walked into the shop and fell in love with this pair of red leather play shoes. They were really cute and just looked comfy. Then they measured her foot. Horror: Her foot had grown 2 sizes from the last time she was measured. Now in my defense, she usually takes one look at the shoe measuring tool and curls her feet into balls. But two sizes. If I could have captured the look on the sales girl facel, it was priceles. The Magster's feet are now only about a 1/2 size smaller than LaNina.

Anyway, so bad Mommy, my kid's feet were two size too big for her shoes. No wonder she always wanted to be barefoot.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger Chris Ayers & Kelly Kline said...

    Helen graduated 2 sizes a few months ago -- I was stunned! One day her shoes fit, and the next day I couldn't even get them on. How does that happen??
    Kelly

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Donna said...

    Hee hee... just think how much larger they'd be if you weren't "binding" them by cramming them into teeny shoes!!

    ;)

    Donna
    Double Happiness!

     
  • At 6:43 AM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Kelly- That is exactly what happened here. My Mom told me she needs new dance shoes too. I just bought those! Unbelievable.

    Donna- Too funny. Now that I've stopped the binding, do you think her feet will grow two more sizes? Yikes!

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Blogger Chris Ayers & Kelly Kline said...

    I think I figured out the mystery of how feet grow -- buy a pair of dance shoes and see toes instantaneously elongate!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home