Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Moving at the Speed of Life

LaNina has been bothering us for several days to take the training wheels off her bike. Since we didn't ride bikes much this summer (the place we lived during the remodel wasn't conducive to biking), I figured this would be a bit like the last time she begged us to take the trainers off...a short-lived, half hearted attempt at biking riding, followed by a skinned knee and an oath she would never ride her bike again.

The Dad got the trainers off this afternoon and at about 4pm LaNina was ready to give the two wheeler the old college try. She dressed herself in long pants and a long sleeve shirt (to prevent the 'skinning'), then donned her helmet and asked me to double check it was on real tight.

I thought about putting on some running shoes, but figured it wasn't worth the effort and she would be done before I tied the laces. Of course, there was no need for a camera. She wasn't even close to riding her bike. So, I went out in a pair of slip on sandals, grabbed the back of the seat of her bike, steadied her for about a step and and half, then I watched my daughter ride her bike about 50 yards down the court. Luckily, the Dad walked out onto the porch just in time to see her ride past the front of our house.

I was so excited for her. I jumped up and down, shouted encouragement, clapped my hands...which made her realize I wasn't right behind her. She dropped her bike immediately and cried big loud sobs. She didn't crash. There was no blood, but the shrieks sounded like a major collision. (We still have no idea why she started crying. We think maybe she surprised herself and got scared.) After that, the bike was put away and we took about an hour break before the Dad went out with La Nina and she rode again, and again, and again...without tears. By dinner, she was braking and turning unassisted. Still not able to start without help, but that will come.

Seeing her ride away from me was a wake up call. She's growing up. Fast. My mind flashed to all those endless hours when she was a toddler and I picked plastic storage containers off the floor four times a day. And those three hour naps she used to take and how frustrating it was not to make it to the store. Or those nights when she would just cry for no reason and all I wanted was some sleep. Every one of those days lasted an eternity at the time. And this afternoon, as she pedaled away from me, I stood in the middle of the street and wished with all my heart that things would slow down. This whole parenting journey is going way too fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home