Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A New Year Begins

Happy 2008 Everyone! I've spent the day trying to get the last of Christmas dealt with and also thinking about what the next year holds for me.

I'm a big resolution gal. Every year I make and keep a resolution for the new year. As far back as I can remember, I've successfully completed my resolutions too. The key to success is I never resolve something like weight loss or saving more money. I believe in making resolutions that are more goal oriented. For instance, I've resolved twice to complete adoption dossiers, got those done. I once resolved to get published as a writer, happily that worked out too. I have also made resolutions involving job changes, which all happened within the calendar year. I've also always kept my resolutions quiet. In fact, I don't think I've ever told anyone. Well, maybe the Dad, but in some cases, not even him.

Which brings me to this year. A year ago, I resolved to finish a book. And darn it, I missed. I've manuscripted through the end of my first novel, but my first draft is five chapters short of completion. And the reason is simple: Writing fiction is the hardest thing I've ever attempted. There are timelines, outlines, character profiles, plots, subplots, I can't think about it too much or my head starts spinning. I had no idea how complicated it was when I started. Oh yeah...and I have two kids which severely limit the time I spend on actually writing to about an hour or two a day.

Yet, I'm close. By April, maybe May, I should have a draft to give to my readers. And with any luck, I'll be accepted into a big writers' workshop this summer, where my work will most likely be shredded, but the pain will make the second draft better. And may be just maybe after I fix all the problems and create a few more in the process, I'll be able to start querying agents and publishers' to get this thing out there.

So, I guess that's my resolution this year. To keep at it. To stay focused on the book. To believe in it. Because even if I didn't get a draft done in 2007, I'm 70,000 words (I have no idea how many pages) closer today than when I started. Alas, I can't say I'll be in a position to sell it in 2008, but I can promise by the end of this year, I'll be in a position to try.

PS: I'll update my progress as I hit some big milestones in my project and I should have several in the next few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home