Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

You mean, you're serious??

So, I was sitting in the doctor's office the other day, and he made a statement that made me laugh.

"And of course, you'll have to give up caffeine."

I laughed in the man's face. "Of course, you know I have two small children."

"Well, I don't recommend going cold turkey, especially with small children. Just cut back slowly."

It finally occurred to me, he wasn't laughing. Oh God. The man was serious.

Now if you know me, you know, I consider caffeine a sixth food group. Coffee in the morning, a diet coke at lunch, and chocolate whenever required. Each dosage is carefully metered out until the next one is due. But according to the science geek in the white coat, all my favorite things were now all off limits. Damn him.

Of course, I could just ignore this recommendation, but becuase I love my children and want to be here with them for a very long time, I decided to listen.

This conversation happened last Thursday. My efforts began on Friday morning by going to half caf coffee in the morning and skipping the lunch time diet coke and other doses of chocoloate. I did okay until three pm, then exhaustion hit. I worked through the afternoon, slept like a log, until a pounding headache awoke me on Saturday morning. Of course, I crawled to the coffee pot, resolved my headache, and my day followed the same path. Today, the same headache woke me up.

Everytime I've told another mom about my plight, they laugh. Several have told me, they'd ask for drugs to treat the condition and keep the caffeine. It was an issue of survival. Today, someone bought me a decaf out of pity.

I don't think I'm overly cranky, but my children may disagree. I do know that I'm pretty tired and the morning headache is pretty miserable. I'm hoping that going to half caf solves my problem and I don't have to give it up completely.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It had better be life or death, because I wouldn't care: cysts in the boobies, high blood pressure- whatever- give me drugs & let me keep my caffiene. Separating me from it is a very very bad thing, so I completely understand your personal tragedy. Can you do Red Bull/Monster/Rockstar??
    My heart and wired body bleed for you. :(

    ~M

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home