Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Boots


For her birthday, La Nina asked her Nana to get her a special pair of boots.  And being a good Nana, her grandmother complied with her request with my consent.  But I hadn't seen the boots in question.  Look at these beauties.  Women stop her on the street and compliment her on the boots all the time.  Of course, the kind words usually accompanied by a twinkle in their eye, but I tell you those words make La Nina walk a little taller.  

Ever since, these boots have become the foundation of La Nina's wardrobe.  She's worn them to school with jeans and capris.  To dance with tights, a leotard and her team jacket.  And around the house in outfits that can only be described as inappropriate on a woman at any age.  

The best outfit she came up with included a pink mini-skirt, a pink tank top and the lovely, purple sparkle boots.  When she tried to go out front in this altogether, I sent her to her room to change.  Outfit number two included a pair of short shorts, a spaghetti string leotard and the very same boots.  It was worse than the first.  After another trip to her bedroom and no improvement in clothing selected, we decided she was going to play inside for the rest of the day.  

I don't know what age girls out grow their love fest with all things sparkly, but at 7, my daughter seems to be getting more outrageous in her style of dress every day.  She doesn't watch much television, there aren't many wildly dressed women at school- only a few harmless cougars and I certainly don't dress like a tart, so I'm really not sure what's driving this taste.  All I know is we could be in for big clothing battles as she enters her teens.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM , Blogger Marci said...

    I'm counting on your to be my mentor as I have a little Imelda following in La Nina's footsteps!

     
  • At 1:56 PM , Blogger Ani said...

    this is the funniest thing i've read in a while. makes me appreciate having a son :)

     
  • At 3:04 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

    oh the boots are the best! i love them....

    The good news? She's learning what fashion is all about --the bad? It might take much much longer than you think! Good luck! I remember numrous, make that hundreds of fashion faux with my oldest daughter, now 35 ... and I secretly think if she could get away with it, she'd still want to wear sparkle boots, too.

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hey, you can still get away with dressing like that at age 7! It's adorable at this age. In two or three years you can forbid her to go out looking like that but for now, let her enjoy it while she can!

    Hope to see you guys sometime soon. (We didn't make it to the Warriors/Rockets games this season as we are newly home with DD #2.)

    :-)
    Milinda

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home