Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Updates

Great news.  The little boy we've sponsored in China for the past couple of years was moved to foster care.  We're very happy for him.  Despite pictures that show him as a happy, healthy 3 year old, he's sick with something that makes him ineligible for adoption.  (Probably TB or AIDs, it's hard to know.)  So, placement in a family situation is a very good outcome for him and we're delighted.  We are now sponsoring another little boy about 3.  Judging from his pictures, he looks to be developmentally disabled, but I could be wrong.  Regardless, we'll continue our sponsorship through Half the Sky and remember this new little one in our prayers.  Every child deserves the love of a family. 

******
Remember this time last year, when La Nina was in the Kindergarten reading program?  Kindergartners need to read 100 books in order to get scoops of ice cream on cones that hang in the window.  If everyone in the class reads 100 books, then the kids get a party.  La Nina nearly drove me to drink following me around demanding we read so she could be the top reader in her class.  Well, now it's the Magster's turn.  (Maggie's reading in Spanish.)  I thought, okay, she's mellower on the competitive stuff, the program won't be bad this time around.  Wrong!  One of the Magster's little friends hit the 100 mark and tonight Maggie was lamenting she will be the last in her class to get to 100... oh whoa is her.  Here's the kicker:  she's at 80 books complete right now.  I actually read with her over Christmas and kept track.  This darn reading program is killing me for the second year in a row.  

****
I'm sure you like me have been somewhat glued to the story about the plane that went down in the Hudson River.  The pilot is from a town nearby and I kept thinking his last name sounded familiar, but then chiding myself for thinking every last name sounds familiar.  This afternoon while I was at the gym, I saw his wife on television and I realized I met her a couple of years ago while I was working on a story.  Not only did I interview her and chat with her on the phone, but she took me on a great hike all through Las Trampas and I spent a good three hours with her.  She's a very nice lady.  Anyway, after I recovered from the shock and awe that I actually did remember that name, I remembered her telling me her husband was a pilot for US Air.  It's a small world.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home