Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Mommy, Why are there no pictures of us?

A letter to my daughters....

My Darling Sweet Angel Children:

I know someday you are going to look through your childhood photos and wonder, "Why are there so few professional pictures of us as young children?" Well, my little darlings, I tried to have professional pictures taken of you when you were little, but the truth is it was always a harrowing experience.

I talked your Nana and Papa into coming to the mall with me to help take pictures the afternoon of June 2nd. Past experience had taught me that going it alone was no good, so I figured if we had you out numbered 3 to 2, that perhaps your cooperation would be more easily gained. After buying special matching dresses and ensuring you were cleaned up, we headed to the mall for a picture taking session.

The session started with you, La Nina, insisting on a blue background, because blue is your favorite color. Magster, you refused to leave my arms for the first 20 minutes in the studio. In fact, you were burying your head in my shoulder for most of that first 20 minutes making any photo impossible. At this point, the first photographer fled the scene. I have to admit, it was wise. Magster, you were glaring at this poor man for the entire first half of the photo shoot. So when the new woman came into help, I breathed a small sigh of relief.

La Nina, you were clearly inspired by the lovely blue background. In fact, you insisted on demonstrating your flexibility to the camera. While it is very impressive that you can put your head on the ground without bending your knees, this position doesn't make a good picture. Really, honey, we loved your Cinderella panties, but we didn't want a picture of them. When we finally offered you an entire viewing of Cinderella, stickers and a cookie, you somewhat cooperated, but that is if you use the word cooperation very loosely. Magster, you will notice your 18-month picture is a head shot. You never did leave my arms for an individual picture. I was still holding you when the shot was snapped. It was the only way it would work.

The picture of the two of you sitting with your backs together in matching dresses on a blue background was pure luck. The woman photographer shot it in the 2 minutes when you both chose to cooperate. I suppose we were lucky that those two minutes were concurrent, not simultaneous, like so many of your naps.

So, my darlings, I, too, mourn the loss of professional pictures of your childhood. But the real reason you see so few professional photos of yourselves as young children is your mother didn't have the nerve to attempt it more than once a year.

Your Loving Mother

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home