Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Etc., etc., etc...

Just to close the loop on a few things:

Thanks to Maggie, the entire family is somewhat wheat-free. Dad and La Nina escape the new diet for lunches out, but Maggie and I rarely eat wheat. As a result, I have noticed the most peculiar side effect: I have developed a dog-like sense of smell. If I spend 24 hours wheat-free and I can smell a dirty diaper in progress from 20-yards. It is really odd. Thankfully, the minute I eat wheat, it recedes.

**********************************************************************************
Slowly, I am weaning off reality TV and I swear I am giving it up next season. Here are my thoughts:

Survivor: Great Season, lots of drama and a very deserving winner. Tom was awesome. Ian's sacrifice for redemption was stunning.
Amazing Race: So glad Uchenna and Joyce won. This might be the only reality show I watch in the future. I just love it.
Idol: Ok, I started watching again once that creepy Scott guy was eliminated. It is down to Bo or Carrie. I think Bo won it last night with his solo. Carrie is good, but she is kind of boring.
Apprentice: Tanna missed the corporate politics lessons about dissing your team and I think she lost it. Kendra is ok, but lacks charisma. My money is on Kendra tonight.

***********************************************************************************

Maggie and I were in a used book store earlier this week and as usual, I asked about Fiction on China. The sales person led me to the section and proceeded to tell all about the practice of foot binding in China in the present tense. When I mentioned that the practice ended by 1920, she told me that I was wrong. Apparently, she was reading the Pearl Buck book, "The Good Earth", the book said it was still going on. I quietly faced Maggie's stroller away from the woman. There was no need for her to see the face of ignorance at 19 months. The "Good Earth" was published in 1931, and the number of known women with bound feet was less than 10 in the mid-1990's and those women were all in their 80's. So sad that this woman is reading a classic, yet missing the lesson of history.

***********************************************************************************
Today was a much better day for the girls and I, but after yesterday, we had no where to go but up. I might make it another week as a Stay At Home Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home