Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Now that I am on the topic of food...

You know, I haven't really whined much about the wheat allergy thing. But the reason for my lack of whining: It hasn't been that big of a deal.

The worst part of Maggie's allergy is combined with her Dad's allergies, the list of foods we can eat is very narrow. I fugure once people hear the list of food restrictions, we will never be invited out to eat again. I am getting such a complex about the whole allergy thing that I want to cry out: "I have no allergies", because I don't and I am trapped in an allergists dream house.

These days, a wheat allergy isn't a horrible allergy to manage. Now that I am getting the hang of it, I am amazed at the selection of foods I find at Whole Foods. (I prefer Whole Foods to Trader Joe's, because it has more selection and a great cabbage crunch salad in the Deli.)

Here are a few of the wheat free items I highly recommend.
  • Rice Crackers. Everyone in the family loves them. They have a really crisp texture and hit the salty craving. We go through boxes of them.
  • Rice based spaghetti noodles are passable. In fact, the Magster ate two helpings for dinner last night. It was quite impressive.
  • Tonight we ate homemade Macaroni and Cheese made with Quinoa Elbows and with Rice Bread crumbs on top. It was a hit.
  • Buckwheat Waffles are fabulous. It is hard to keep Dad from eating them.
  • Kix cereal has very little wheat (well, the wheat there is doesn't bother Maggie), but also there is a whole line of gluten-free kids cereal at Raley's that is great.
  • There are "No-Wheat" cookies by Nona's that are pretty darn good, and a bunch of health bars for kids that are wheat-free.
Beyond this, it has slowly dawned on me how many foods are just naturally wheat-free. Applesauce, yogurts, meat, rice, vegetables, fruit, (not that Maggie will eat Vegetables or Fruit, but they are wheat-free) milk, eggs, oatmeal, tofu, popcorn, jello, ice cream, cheeses, quinoa, rice crispy treats.

While it is a bummer that Maggie needs to avoid wheat in order to enjoy the occasional piece of cake, for me, the only impact has been it requires an extra grocery trip a week to Whole Foods. That and the fact it takes forever to shop because I am always reading the labels. Now that can be painful with two kids, but that is another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home