Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

The 'Issues' of Parenthood

Of late, Maggie doesn't like her diapers. And she really hates them if they are the slightest bit wet. Throughout the day, it is common for her to hand me diapers and say, "wet". It is also not uncommon for me to chase her through the house to get a diaper back on her while she squeals, "No". Before you say, 'oh, that child is ready to potty train,' keep reading.

So, this morning Maggie handed me a diaper, but also said "poo-poo". I had a potty in the kitchen...I know it is gross, but I am in the habit of moving it from room to room. I never know when I am going to get handed a diaper and it is handy to make her sit on it while I get her a fresh one. As I left to deal with the wet diaper in my hand, I suggested that Maggie sit on the potty while I get her a diaper to which she said, "No." I commanded her to sit down in an authoritative voice, a command she ignored. I walked to her room, grabbed a diaper and returned to the kitchen.

Maggie wasn't sitting on the potty when I returned to the kitchen. In fact, she was squatting on the floor, taking care of her 'issue', next to her potty. The amazing thing about this story is that her Dad was sitting not more than 3 feet from her reading the Sports section and sipping his coffee, completely oblivious to the problem piling (literally) up next to him.

La Nina advised me of the situation with a .. "and it stinks, Mommy." Before you judge this situation, realize I was not gone from the room for more than 1 minute and a completely capable adult was in the room the entire time. I now believe I have seen it all as a parent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home