Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Where did the Summer go?

It is September. La Nina started back to pre-school today. And there is no denying summer is slowly fading into fall. In case there is any doubt, let me be clear about something: I am a summer person.

When I left my job, I really wanted a summer with the girls. So, I took La Nina out of school for two months and just enjoyed the season this year. I haven't had a summer so good since I was a kid. The weather was hot, the days were long and the bounty of vegetables and fruits were endless. Lazy afternoons at the pool were the perfect way to beat the heat. Mornings hanging around the house, running to errands or swim lessons were so relaxed. And there is nothing like heirloom tomatos, white corn from the valley, berries and melons. I love it when an entire meal can be fruit, vegetables and a nicely grilled steak.

I am never excited for Winter and while I used to appreciate the changing seasons (well, as much of that as you get in Northern California), now I only appreciate the changes that mean Summer is coming, not the changes that mean Winter is almost here. Sure the holidays are great, but January and February are endless in my world. I spend the entire winter consoling myself that Summer is just around the corner, and now I have turned that corner and I am staring down the barrel of a cold, rainy winter. brrrr.

Alas, given the events in New Orleans, if the end of summer is my biggest care in the world, then things are very good in my world. My heart goes out to all of those who can not locate their families, lost their homes and are suffering. And to our friends who are worried for family in the Deep South, we are thinking of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home