Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Is it just me?

So, as is our birthday tradition, we spent part of this week at Disneyland, celebrating with Maggie. I could regale everyone of cute tales of kids in paradise, but something happened that has left me curious.

While we were at Disneyland, everyday for 3 straight days, I had a very interesting adoption conversation with a total stranger. The first conversation was with a woman in her late twenties who was adopted from Korean. She blushingly asked where my girls were from. She was embarrassed to ask me, she explained, because as a child she hated when people asked her parents about her and here she was doing the same thing to other kids.

I was thrilled to meet an adult Korean adoptee, so I told her rudeness all depended on the spirit in which the questions were asked. She seemed to like that answer, and we had a fabulous, 10-minute conversation about her experience growing up biracial. She was extremely jealous when I told her that we were still in contact with families who adopted with us. She said the first time she met another Korean adoptee was when she was 18. Isn't that amazing? How isolating her experience must have been!

The next day, I was in the Haunted House with Maggie. (I have mentioned she is fearless, haven't I?) Anyway the woman standing next to me, asked me if she was Chinese. I thought, "Here we go again." Then, before I could answer, she told me she had just received her referral. She whipped out a baby picture before the elevator darkened. So, I was really glad she said something to me. How special to see her pictures.

Finally, our last morning, in Toon Town, I was watching a Mom with an Asian baby playing on a car. I was wondering if the baby was adopted, when another man, asked about my girls. I was so focused on this third family, I was totally confused by his question. Anyway, he thought my confusion was reluctance, so he told me they have their first meeting with an agency in Arizona next week and they are starting a home study for China. So, there we were, in the middle of Toon Town, talking about the finer points of putting together a dossier, playing the waiting game and traveling to China.

Couple these experiences with the fact I saw several families that looked like ours and it left me wondering...do adoptive families just go to Disneyland more than other families? Or is it that because we look a little different, so we are easy to spot and connect with? Or is it that adoption from China is so common that on any given day there are several adoptive families at Disneyland? I don't know, but it was a fascinating experience.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh Julie! Jeff and I are laughing so hard we're crying!! Here's why: waaaay back in fall of '03 when we were still researching adoption & getting funds together, we were at Disneyland when we spotted a nice Caucausian couple with 2 adorable Chinese girls...and we accosted them! They were so gracious, and answered all our questions...I will be forever grateful to them. I now look forward to getting accosted with Tenley so I can repay the favour in kind.
    Jeff thinks you're right - it's that adoption from China is more prevalent now, and that we seem to spot each other easily. I know that once we began the process in '04 that it suddenly seemed that I saw other Red Thread families everywhere I went. And now I not only see them, but frequently meet people who know someone who has adopted from China.
    Happy Birthday Maggie!!!

    ~Michelle
    www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    So it isn't just me, then. I swear, I felt like I was wearing a magnet. Not that I minded or anything, but I rarely get asked anything at home. Anyone else out there have this experience?

    PS Cinderella-The Princess Lunch was to DIE for if you are a girl between the ages of 2 and 10.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    We had the same experience at Disneyland! And I rarely see adoptive families, which seems strange to me in San Francisco...anyway, we were apporached by two people, on had just returned with their daughter and we had a nice chat, the other had a 10 year old daughter and as we were talking he said "you used Norman, right?" he said it as if he just KNEW we had! very interesting!
    Lisa Smith

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home