Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Experimenting with the Kids

Doesn't it seem the kids just go from one candy laden holiday to the next? Valentines, Easter, Halloween, Christmas...candy, candy, candy, candy. I get so tired of the constant whining for candy. I try to make them eat healthy meals, but man, it's tough when there are hollow chocolate bunnies bounding about the house.

So this morning, I decided to try a little reverse psychology. Nothing like an old mind game to throw the kids for a loop. When the kids were begging for candy before 7am, I told them they could eat as much candy as they wanted as soon as they finished their breakfast.

La Nina downed a bowl of cereal, 5 strawberries, 2 gummy vitamins and a glass of OJ faster than you can say "Sugar Covered Purple Marshmallow Bunnies", and I handed her a bag of candy. She was delighted. I even opened a lollipop for her before 8am. However, the first lollipop was too big (according to her), and I had to throw it away after about 3 minutes. The second lollipop was too "lemony" and we threw that away too. She popped about 10 jelly beans in her mouth, and I didn't hear another request for candy all day long. It was a miracle.

Then along comes the Magster. She, too, wants her candy. I make the same deal with her. Eat your breakfast, then I'll give you the candy. She downs two waffles with peanut butter, her OJ and vitamins faster than you can say, "A spoonful of sugar makes the Magster go round." I hand the bag of candy to the Magster and she heads to the table. I get busy cleaning the kitchen and doing whatever it is that I do in the morning, and the Magster is happily unwrapping chocolate eggs, sucking a lollipop and downing jelly beans all at once. An hour later, the Magster is still at it, but going considerably slower. She looks just a little green around the gills. I'm starting to think perhaps this whole mind game is backfiring and I'm going to be cleaning the carpet again. All of a sudden she looks at me, hands me her considerably lighter bag of candy and leaves the table.

Fast forward to tonight: Usually La Nina is stating she gets candy if she eats her dinner. We're not sure where she got that idea, because it doesn't go like that for her every time she eats her dinner. Tonight, candy is not mentioned. Not. One. Word. I even saw Maggie looking at the candy, but she never asked for it. Both kids ate a decent dinner and I'm hoping I outsmarted the little darlings for once in my life. Maybe I will be tossing the candy very soon.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    Wow, I will have to try that...otherwise it lasts for two months, or until I throw it away!
    Your'e a genius!
    Lisa

     
  • At 10:42 AM , Blogger allyn fratkin said...

    i can't believe your kids still eat when they're told they can do something fun after dinner.

    we have to be careful not to tell samantha she can do something "after dinner", particularly while dinner is in progress. if we do that, she immediately says "i'm done".

    but i do like the candy overflow idea. i hope it sticks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home