Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Curse

Last week at book club, several of us Moms were comparing our kids illnesses. As one Mom mentioned she was very tired of cleaning up vomit, I chimed in that La Nina has only thrown up once in 3+ years and Maggie has never thrown up. Once the words were out of my big mouth, I laughed and said, "But the streak will end withing a week, now that I've said this." I hoped my words would reverse the curse. I was wrong.

All last week and through the weekend, La Nina was on perma-whine. There seemed to be nothing wrong with her, she was just whining non-stop. Since my threshold for this behavior is extremely low and I couldn't find a single physical reason for it, I just hoped it was an ugly phase and sent her to her room. Over and over and over again. Yesterday she took 2 naps, and went to bed at 7:30pm. Today the perm-a-whine is gone, and our normal bossy, but cheerful daughter has returned.

Fast forward to this afternoon, still less than 1 week since I uttered the words "Maggie has never thrown up" and I notice Maggie is a little off. She isn't whiny, just sort of clingy. She is refusing to eat (a common thing for Maggie) and she is drinking water like a fish. After her nap, she won't get out of my arms. Then it begins. She hits me, herself, the carpet and most disastrously-wankie. The streak ended, over and over and over again. Once the drama faded, she and I changed quickly and I spray carpet cleaner on the floor. Then I have to do the dreaded deed. Throw wankie in the wash. Maggie is sick without her blanket. Not good. Really not good. And let's just say we had a long, long, long afternoon.

So, now I know, La Nina was actually sick, not just whiny and I cursed myself last week. With the weather forecast calling for 1-3 inches of rain in the next 36 hours, I just know someone, somewhere is laughing at my plight.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home