Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Big Food-Free Weekend

Well, all I'm back from the San Francisco Writers Conference and I can officially say I'm a published short story writer. My essay, "Butterflies", was published in the conference anthology. (Yes, I do have a few copies for family.)

I will forever think of this conference as the no-food conference. It started at 11am on Friday, but there was no lunch, only scones in the afternoon. Rumor had it there were appetizers at the cocktail party, but I only saw empty trays. No dinner was planned, because I think the organizers thought we'd want to dine out. Only rolls for breakfast, and literally, 8 raviolis for lunch on Saturday. I left the conference at one point and found a little grocery store to buy some supplies. It was grim.

Other than the serious lack of food, the conference was good. Learned a lot about the whole world of book publishing, and now I'm officially scared. Agents and editors and publicists, oh my! Not too worry, though, I don't have a completed book, yet!

The highlight was the Dad and the kids joining me on Saturday. He braved it on BART with both girls alone. Good for him! The kids got to ride a cable car for the first time and then we bummed around Chinatown on the eve of the lunar new year. Lots of firecrackers which didn't phase La Nina in the least. (I was sort of shocked.) Then we had dinner in North Beach before grabbing a cab and heading back up to the hotel. (I was staying on Nob Hill.)

Anyway, it was a good weekend. And if you're interested in buying the anthology with my story, check out this link.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on your first published essay! :)

    Your post reminded me of our China trip. (Not that we weren't offered food, but, as vegetarians, there was just nothing we could eat - except rice, some very soggy tofu, and bok choy. To this day I cannot eat bok choy or soft tofu!)

    Anyway, I digress. How can you focus on learning when your stomach is growling?? Don't these conference organizers know anything?

    Best of luck in your writing endeavors,
    Milinda

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home