Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

GOOALLLLL!

It's soccer season here in Soccer City USA. That means that the local sports' parks are filled with teams of all sizes every Saturday morning. Hundreds of people crowd the sideline cheering on their teams then head off to the Farmer's Market or other games or whatever errands need to get done on a fall Saturday.

And there we are in the thick of things with my mondo bag of soccer ball flung over my shoulder, my team bench, cooler and pop up shelter. In my pocket, I have my whistle, stop watch and line up. It's quite something to get all of my team's equipment from the curb to the field and back again. Literally, every member of the family and sometimes a random passerby's arms are loaded down like sherpas as we haul the equipment onto the sidelines.

This is Maggie's third season playing (and my 3rd year coaching) and she's loving the sport as much as ever. She's requested a soccer themed birthday party, she wrote her first class speech on her favorite sport...soccer, and she often wants to wear her cleats to school on Thursdays just so she's ready for practice, which starts at 5pm. She's off to a great start. She's fast, she's creative, she's aggressive. She's always intuitively understood the game, but now her skills are growing to match her intuition and it's such a joy to watch.

As her mom/coach, I have mixed emotions watching her this year. Now this counts. She's in an age group where the high comp coaches start paying attention. I have to rate all my players at the end of the season, and I know how I'll have to rate her. And while as a coach/mom, it's so exciting to see her develop, it's also a little sad. You see, if those coaches notice her, I don't know how much longer I'll be allowed to be her coach. I know in my heart the best thing in the world for her is to let her play competitively, yet the minute I do...no more coaching for me. Parents are not allowed to coach their kids high comp teams any longer.

Yes, technically, I have the rest of this season and next to coach her. I still have time. But if her season continues on the route it's on in the first two games, I won't be surprised if I get a call this spring for her to try out for high comp a year early. And if that call comes, I'll suck it up and take her out to try outs. It's the right thing to do. She'll love it. And if that call doesn't happen until after next season, that's okay too. I guess I just know it's out there for her...and the coach side of me knows it's probably going to happen. But the Mom side of me wants to hold on as long as possible.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Marci said...

    John feels your pain. He really misses coaching. One of his biggest regrets about moving here was having to give up coaching -- it would have been his first year as a D3 coach. A big part of Abbie's soccer struggles over here are that she really wants her Dad to coach. Unfortunately, he works during the time he could coach the English students and he doesn't speak the right language to coach locally.

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Tell John Rage changed their rules and parents are no longer allowed to coach a D3 or higher team if their kids are on it. I'm not sure if Ballistic changed their rules or not. For Rage it's exclusively paid coaching now down to D3. Probably for the best in terms of quality coaching, but kind of sad for those of us who like to coach, know the sport and are willing to get certified.

    I feel for John. As much as I'm bummed about not coaching possibly as soon as next year, he had to walk away while it was still an option. What a drag.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home