Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

On a dime

Things are always crazy around here, but lately even I'm overwhelmed. The Dad has developed a medical issue (no worries, it's not fatal) that resulted in the loss of his drivers' license for a minimum of 6 months and a very strict doctors orders that he's not to be left alone for 4 weeks. Before you ask, the kids are fine. Yes, they know everything that is going on. They've lived through it. La Nina is a bit emotional about the whole situation, the Magster is completely matter of fact about it, but she really prefers not to talk about it.
This came out of nowhere with no warning, though doctors think it's existed for a long time. One minute he could pick up milk, the next minute I can't go grocery shopping without coverage. Life changes on a dime and we're all just left to roll with the punches to the best of our ability.

It sucks, but it could a lot worse. My natural tendencies to compulsively plan have been totally derailed. And mostly, I'm left wondering...what just happened? I only plan one day out as I don't know what the next day will bring and it's too hard to redo everything because a practice time changes or a rehearsal gets cancelled.

There are so many things I'm grateful for in this situation. Living in my home town where family and long-time friends are abundant. Big hearted neighbors who show up at just the right time. Cell phones with email have been invaluable. Texting. What would I do without it in hospitals when I can't talk on the phone, yet need to get information out? Modern pharmaceuticals who will help us control this medical situation with minimal side effects. Mostly, the family who just steps up and asks nothing in return. How can people not believe in God when the evidence of Him can be found abundantly in the acts of a loving family?

And mostly, I'm left wondering...what just happened? One minute I was wondering if I should make dinner or fold laundry and the next I'm giving medical history to an ER doctor who is as stumped as I am. One day I'm complaining about the ever increasing cost of insurance, the next day I'm grateful for good coverage. One week, I'm making 3 trips to the grocery store because I forgot something. The next, I'm one trip and done, because I really don't want to leave the Dad alone for very long.

In the end, we're here. We're fine or on the road to being fine. If I seem a bit distracted, please forgive me. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, but things will get better. I'm sure of it.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger Welshie said...

    I know how how you feel because my husband has been diagnosed with a couple of serious ailments lately and it has rocked our family for six. As you so rightly say, life can turn on a dime!!

    Thinking of you

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Blogger Marci said...

    So sorry to hear about the Dad! You are lucky to have so many friends and family around and I'm sure you'll pull through the event counting all your blessings. Hopefully he can still travel next summer!

     
  • At 11:01 AM , Blogger Ani said...

    Thinking of you all and sending the Dad good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger One Crazy Mom said...

    Julie-Please let me know how I can help you! I have room in my car for 2 more.
    I'm just a phone call/text/email away.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home