Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Monday, October 18, 2004

So, Why don't you call?

I know, I know. Everyone who reads this blog asks me why I don't just call my agency and ask when we are going to travel. Believe it or not, it isn't that simple.

My agency is very used to dealing with hysterical, emotional, out of whack parents. The staff is remarkably capable at disarming any attack and thwarting every questioning angle with diffusion tactics. The answer is usually, "Well, your letter says .....". My thoughts at their answers are always the same: I know what my letter says, I am looking for more details.

The staff also lies. Ok, that is probably an exaggeration and most likely unfair. I don't know if they are really lying, but they are certainly not above telling an over emotional, distraught parent one thing in the morning, then changing the news that afternoon. Now it is quite possible that the news changes hour to hour. At the same time, there has been more than once that the shifting stories seemed suspicious. So, when people ask me, "Why don't you call?" The reasons I don't call are complicated; kind of based on experience and kind of based on futility.

So, "why do I use this agency?" Actually, I have questioned that decision myself lately. The reason is simple: I trust my daughter with no one else when we are actually processing the adoption in China. In China, there is not a more competent, organized, connected and efficient agency. I know this from experience and I know this from listening to adoption war stories told by veteran's of the process. I put up with their abuse now, in order to assure smooth sailing when I have Maggie in my arms. In my opinion, their strength in China is far more valuable than any hand holding the staff could provide now.

By the way, I did call this AM. The staff quite cheerfully reminded of me of what my letter said and what the process is. Basically, there is no news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home