Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Great Start to Porcelain Adventures

Sometimes there are so many stories to tell that it is hard to decide what to write. But this weekend, it is easy. Yesterday, the Magster woke up from her nap and announced she wanted to go potty.

Accustomed to lots of company in my most private moments, I assumed this was just another girl thing that involved me sitting and the Magster chatting. However when we got the porcelain throne the Magster began taking off her diaper. Shocked, I offered assistance. I moved a stool around for her and positioned her on the big potty. Low and behold, the Magster did the sitting and I did the chatting. Let's just say it was a very productive sit for the Magster. I was stunned. I made a huge deal about it. When I tried to put her diaper back on her, she told me "No. I pee-pee in potty."

I wasn't quite sure what to do. This was so sudden. So, unexpected. We hadn't even tried this for weeks. But she had been interested in the Potty Book and she does hate being wet. I put her in a pull-up, figuring it was a safe fall back position. About 30 minutes later, when La Nina got up from a nap, headed for the potty, the Magster followed, and let's just say, it was a repeat performance. She stayed dry for the rest of the evening, despite the fact we went out to dinner.

I assumed this whole potty thing would be history today. But again, I was wrong. She asked for panties early this morning. I'm not a fan of pull-ups, so today I pulled out some old-fashion training pants (just thick cotton, no plastic), and she wore them all day. She only had two accidents and both were caused by extreme distraction. Unfortunately she picked a very busy weekend to start this potty thing and the accidents were more my fault than hers. I'm not used to this! She also came to me twice and asked to go potty, and was productive both times. (I initiated several trips, which were also productive, but the fact she came to me...yikes...this could be serious).

So, tomorrow, me and the Magster are going shopping for panties. Size 2. Her choice, Dora, Princess, Bob the Builder...I care not. My little one could have potty trained herself at 2 years and 3 months. I'm stunned. Of course, this means I will never be qualified to give out potty training advise, because if this sticks...and I am still only cautiously optimistic...Then Maggie will only be 4 weeks behind her sister in terms of the accomplishment. And I clearly had it easy in this department of parenthood.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Can I tell you? This is what I am waiting for! Everyone keeps telling me that girls basically train themselves, so I wait... Eva is a year and 2 months, so we wait...

    Congrats on the festive new undies!

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger allyn fratkin said...

    this is really unfair. our samantha is 2 years 7 months and still has no interest in going on the potty. oh, she'll sit on it. and read about it. sometimes she even asks to sit on it. she just won't actually go. :-(

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home