Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Saying Goodnight on Three

Well, I tucked in my three-year-old La Nina for the last time tonight. Tomorrow is her long anticipated 4th birthday. Near as I can tell, 4 is a big birthday. Possibly the biggest. She is completely clear on the birthday concept and inquired about the type of crown she gets to wear tomorrow. She provided input on her party, her gift and her menu for tomorrow, but let me say, four has some limitations.

1.) The party: La Nina insisted we have her party at home. The theme, Princesses, of course, was her decision. The cake was her decision. The food that will be served was her decision. The area where Mom had to intervene was the guest list. La Nina being kind of spirit wanted to invite every child in her class. Considering the size of her class, the number of kids in our travel group as well as other friends we spend time with, our party would have included about 30 kids. Mommy said No. Considering the likelihood of rain, the expense and the size of our house, we had to limit the guest list to girls only. I know, it's terrible to discriminate based on gender, but it was the most fair thing I could think of. For the record: home birthday parties are more expensive than non-home parties and a heck of a lot more work too!

2.) The Gift: La Nina is tough to buy for. I have never understood how a child could be tough to buy for but she is. And she rarely gives gift suggestions. However, this year, she actually gave me an idea. Last week she told me she wanted a dog from the animal shelter who can't walk. Ok, I have two problems with this suggestion: a.) We have two dogs. b.) Who do you suppose will insure that dog gets out of my house to do his business? La Nina or Me? There is no dog from the shelter who can't walk in La Nina's immediate future. Not happening. Perhaps this is why she never tells me what she wants.

3.) The Meals: La Nina has selected the entire menu for tomorrow. Donuts, a Happy Meal and Spaghetti. Except that Mommy is making some edits. a.) I'm substituting a bagel for a donut. She told me that was ok as long as I put cream cheese and cucumbers on it. b.) For lunch we're going to the Hop Yard, not McDonald's. She agreed to this change as long as there was a little toy with lunch. I picked up a couple of Little Ponies today. (Does anyone get these toys? My kids love them...I don't get it.) c.) Spaghetti is fine. She requested fruit salad on the side. That is fine also.

While it's hard to believe the baby who sucked her fingers and slept like no other is four, at least, she's kept a couple of habits to remind me my baby isn't gone, simply transformed into a little girl.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    Happy Birthday to you! Gracie loves My Little ponies! I love the "I want a dog who can't walk!"
    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home